Lower Unit Not Trimming

One of my outdrives(Mercury Alpha I) will not trim up or down. I had the problem at the end of the season last fall. I changed out the trim sensor and it still is not working. I can hear the relay clicking when I try to trim it up, but it does not move. I did not have an electrical meter with me to check voltages.

Why are there 3 wires going to the trim motor? Can these motors be repaired?

Any ideas on what else to check?

They have a solenoid that controls the trim pump. It's EZ to trouble shoot but on most boats it's in a VB place to get at. I had problems with mine last year, and remove the whole assembly to trouble shoot. Mine ended up being the wires going to the trim switch on the throttle. I thought about repairing the wires but it looked like they would be doomed to the same fate. I pulled the wires out of the throttle shift control and installed a new DPDT momentarily on switch on the dash. I think there is an up solenoid and a down solenoid, that control the trim pump. The three wires are necessary to make the pump function Up or down.

I know some good electricians in your area if you need any help.:lol: The Devil made me do that.:)

I just looked and found a schematic. I'll scan and Email it to you.

Can you hear the motor run??? These Trim units use motor oil as their hydraulic oil. Check the fuse. Once you take the trim pump assemble off the transom you may have a better shot at trouble shooting it. On mine I couldn't see nothing until I removed a couple of screws and got the unit out where I could see it.

Both switches(throttle and trailer mode) caused the solenoid to click, but the motor would not run. I checked the inline fuse, and it looked good. Next time I head up to the boat, I will bring an electrical meter with me. ;)

I have plenty of room to work on it without removing it.

Mike here is a link to After Market's trouble shooting trim systems. They probably have the parts also. You may want to check other sources also. They are VG on most parts but not on all.

http://www.amarket.com/chektrm.htm

I just had a thought. With your battery being bad, could it be that there is enough power to click the solenoid but not enough to turn the pump motor?

I just had a thought. With your battery being bad, could it be that there is enough power to click the solenoid but not enough to turn the pump motor?

This was hooked up to the good battery.

I got er done today fellas! I brought my electrical meter so I could check the voltages. Everything was working correctly, except the trim was still not working.

So....I took the trim motor apart. All of the brushes were stuck in the brush housings. I freed up the brushes, cleaned them and the commutator, and put it back together. Hit the trim switch and away it went. :D

I also set the new trim sendors and cut off switch.