Batteries

One of my two batteries is bad. Since the other is a couple of years old, I am going to replace it also. I am debating on what to put in for batteries, and how I should hook them up. I have read several things on them, but I am still unsure how I want to go about it. Currently both of my batteries are seperate and are charged from each each engines alternator. My down riggers are wired into one battery. If I am not trolling with that engine, the battery is not getting charged.

I also have a 2 bank on board charger for charging them when the boat is hooked up to shore power.

Whats everyone running for batteries? How many MCA's?

For those that have twins, how do you have your riggers and batteries set up?

OPTIMA

Im on my 7th season and they werenot lying about these Gell filled batteries. you cant drain them they dont overheat and best of all there is no water to deal with. When bought new out of the box they are putting out 12.58v. last week when I put them back in the boat I threw the fluke on them and after sitting all winter they were at 12.52 Plugged it in to the new onboard charger and I belive it still has not called for a charge yet. I tested The charger by turnning on the radio and after around 5 min the charger finally kicked on. One caution note. Make sure if you use a gell filled batterie that your onboard charger is able to be used for these. My new onboard charger came with a programablen switch for either gell or lead acid batteries.

I have never gone seven seasons on a batterie for my big boat so this year will be the real test.