Mounting Speed n Temp Unit

This will be my first year with a Subtroll, which I haven't mounted yet. Boat is still snow covered, but soon.......?

There seem to be a lot of discussions about which unit to buy, cable wear, and use, but I haven't heard anyone mention where they have the display head mounted, on the dash with the other instruments, or at the back of the boat where it can be seen and read by the person operating the downrigger?

I'm leaning toward trying to find a spot at the back with the downriggers. What are your experiences and thoughts? And a photo if you have yours mounted near your downriggers would be great.

Thanks,

Yooperdad

If you're running on auto-pilot, then it would be nice to be able to watch your speed from the back of the boat (and know what the underwater currents are doing). However, if you have someone at the helm controlling the show, then it would be beneficial for them to be able to see the subtroll and be able to adjust the throttle accordingly. Mine is on the dash, as I don't have auto-pilot YET. Would be pretty confusing for the person at the helm to have to keep getting updates from the fella at the stern. :)

Here is an old photo of my boat. I say old as I have a new board now and 4 Walkers. I like the Walker compact design and have them tight together on each corner, leaving more room up the chute. There is plenty of gunnel behind the board where I could mount the Subtroll, or could make a bracket off the board somewhere near the riggers. The inside rigger on the starboard side will be the Subtroll rigger, running straight back when in use.

We can steer the kicker from the helm, but still have to adjust speed at the motor.

The sides on my Whaler are pretty low, so the board and risers were to get the riggers up and in easier operating space. Plus the board provides good security in the back, and a good leaning post when netting or whatever.

riggers2.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain why I am asking the question. I'd like to install it the best way the first time. Thanks,

Yooperdad

I would install it near the sonar. You need all that information at quick glance. With my setup I never troll alone. I expect the helmsman to relay all the information. When I have a rookie driver, I'll sometimes check it myself. But as stated above the helmsman needs the speed information to vary the throttle.:)

I would install it near the sonar. You need all that information at quick glance. With my setup I never troll alone. I expect the helmsman to relay all the information. When I have a rookie driver, I'll sometimes check it myself. But as stated above the helmsman needs the speed information to vary the throttle.:)

Frank, you took the words right out of my mouth. We all take turns at the helm when we go out fishing and the more information the helmsman has, the better we all are at catching fish.

Plus, it's only a couple steps away to take a look for yourself at what is happening.

Mine's in the dash so the helmsman can always see it. However the Sub-T has a large enough display that it can be seen from the back.. One drawback to mounting it in the rear is if a 2nd or 3rd fisherman is standing back there, they'll probably block the helmsman's view.

I hear ya about the helmsman, who is me more often than not, after setting the lines.

But on my boat, as I mentioned above, I can't control speed from the helm. That's a manual adjustment on my little Yamaha. That's why I was asking about the rear mount.

I had planned to mount it up front, until I started thinking about how we function on the boat, then had second thoughts.

I'd still put it up front. The helmsman is watching where he's going (into/with the current, etc) and has other engine stuff to watch. Fishing partners are usually watching the rods, etc. How about mounting it on top of the dash between the seats, straight back, so it can be seen from the helm & from the back. The helmsman can always relay the message to anyone in the back to adjust speed & they'll be able to see it to verify the adjustment.

With your statement that the board provides some security or something to lean against during netting, I personally wouldn't want it where it could possibly get in my way i.e. bump it, or in harms way i.e. splashing from waves at high speed etc. Up front, it's always out of the elements.

I would still put it near the sonar. The helmsman can always yell back to bump the speed one way or the other. Put it on the dash, and I'm 95% sure you will like it there. If you don't like it there say "Dog Gone it Frank".:lol: If you don't like it move it next season.

I have my Depth Raider near the sonar on the dash. When I run the kicker the speed needs to be adjusted at the rear. Whoever is on the helm gives a command to adjust the speed up or down. We all take turns at the helm. I usually can see the Depth Raider from the rear of the boat. I think if it were at the back of the boat it would be in the way. It can sometimes get a little busy back there.

I use a canon. The display is large enough to read from the stern. Just a thought based on my only obstacle in reading while at the stern. I mounted mine at the helm and expected to be able to either ask my depth should I have another driver or read it from the stern. I find myself constantly asking what's the depth at the ball? I'll either get a call out from the FF or a simple huh? Then I just say Move you head!!! lol... If you mount it on the dash, don't mount it in a manner that an occasional alternate driver will be blocking your view. Perhaps the passenger side, center dash or stern would be optimum.

OK. OK. I'll listen to all the advice and mount it on the dash and see how it goes this year. I sure do appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Sure would be nice to be able to get at the boat and get the unit mounted. With all the new snow yesterday, it's going to be several more weeks now before I can get her out of the back yard. :(

Thanks again,

Yooperdad

We mounted out new SubTroll up yesterday. I'll have to get some pictures, but we decided to go up on the dash right between the sonar and the GPS. It's easily seen from the back of the boat because of the big needle analog display and the helmsmen won't be in front of it for the most part. So all the info that is needed to keep us on the fish is right in front of the helmsman, and easily visabled by thoes working the back of the boat.

Now to just get it in the water!

What method did you use to connect the subtroll Kingfisher? I have used Walker releases for a long time and really like them, so wanted a way to still use them with the subtroll. Here's a picture of what I came up with. I must have 4 or 5 coats of liquid rubber on it to cover the metal, and did that with it assembled and with a downrigger ball hanging on it, to make sure there was good metal to metal contact under the coating.

I hope it works.

Yooperdad

subtroll.jpg

Walker stackers??? Didn't know there was such a thing. Could that be clipped on the coated cable without doing damage to the coating? Where did you buy them? I have never seen them in any of the online stores, but maybe because I never looked for them. And Gander Mountain in Marquette is the only real store we have available and they don't carry them.

I usually put sliders on when things are slow and I want more bait in the water. Have tried running stackers and usually ended up with tangles of some kind:( so have not paid much attention to stackers in recent years.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I settled on Walkers many years ago. They are so easy to set with the right tension and then just snap the line in. I have a few Offshores and Big Jons that I used to use on the boat too, but much prefer these. Very foolproof.

Yooperdad

We just used the terminator's provided by Moor on ours. I'm not familiar with the walker, does that metal peice extend all the way through the release? We use the Scotty Pinch releases that extend from the back of the cannon balls for releases.

The pic I posted are of Walker Stackers. These tread on the rigger cable and are free sliding until you pull up on them and a cam wheel locks them to the cable. The white deals are used to hold the releases to the boom until you reach the point that you want to lock them.:)

• 1 year later...