Replacement j-plug hooks

Are you referring to the entire J-Plug Harnesses or just the hooks on the harnesses? I will have 100s of harnesses for sale this weekend at the Grand Rapids Swap Meet. I can also guide you on what brand of dacron to purchase and how to retie your current harnesses you may have. Otherwise, I can get you however many you want already pretied. Let me know your thoughts.

zurmmy,

We will be carrying bead chain harnesses with VMC Vanadium hooks in Blood red. I am just waiting for my bead chains to show up. Since I have gone to these rigs I have not lost a fish due to the hook or dacron failing. They are a huge upgrade. I will try to post a pic later.

Matt

Here are the harnesses I will have on the site soon. The first set is a #3 J-Plug with the correct harness. The next plug is a #4 J-plug Then a #5 Silver Horde Plug with the proper harness for each.

Matt

PlugHarnessforGLFisherman.jpg

Couple of questions from a rookie...

How many pounds are those bead chains rated for? I have found 4 bead chains but they don't give a weight rating.

What size hooks would you use for each size of j-plug going with the bead chains instead of dacron or braid?

Thanks for any help.

We use Size 2 Round Bend hooks for Size 3 J-Plugs and Size 1 Round Bend hooks for Size 4 and 5 J-Plugs. The smaller hooks allow for a better hook-up ratio, especially with the double hook setup. Plus, heavier and larger hooks and bead chains drag the hooks down below the body of the plug more than dacron and smaller hooks do, especially at slower trolling speeds. This is the most important thing when fishing with J-Plugs to get the most bites and successful hook-ups! The more your J-Plug harness drags, the less bites and hook-ups you will receive. Hope this helps!

I have not noticed any decrease in hookup ratios, in fact the ratio has gone way up. With this setup we simply do not lose fish!! On the contrary with the dacron setups I have several times been fighting a fish and had the dacron fail for whatever reason. I can only guess as to why. That is what caused me to look at diffrent methods of running plugs. The bead chain harnesses have been nothing less than phenominal. If you actually ran these you would see that they do not hang down and hinder hookups in any way. I could care less if I sell a single harness, that has been my experience running both setups.

Matt

Has Anyone tried using 2 single hooks with the bead chains? I have heard of people doing this. I had fantastic results with Glow Js on the riggers this past year. The only thing I don't like about the double treble hooks on the Js is the net tangles. :)

Lots of good info. Never gave it a thought of bigger trebles dropping down away from the body of the plug. Definitely worth a "sea-trial" when I get on the water again. You know, actually try a couple sizes of hook, with and without bead chains, at various speeds to see what happens to the action of the plug and placement of the hooks (with the lure running right beside the boat).

Matt,

I was not trying to discourage sales of your product. I have been using the bead chain harness vs. the normal dacron harness for the last 4 years. My statements and comments were based on my observations and data over the course of the last four years. Therefore, I have used both setups and I never state anything on this website that isn't true or I have not looked in depth at. All my comments about the hooks hanging down, less hook-ups, etc. was backed with on the water experiences. This is just what has worked for me and what I believe in. Everyone is different. Sorry for the confusion.

We came up with some really different results. I was extremely suprised to hear your results with the bead chains, so much so that I thought that there was no way you could have possibly ran them. Obviously I was wrong about that. What works for some may not work for others. Sorry I took your post the wrong way.

Matt