Copper wire

I am rigging up a couple Okuma CV55L this season with 300' of 45# copper. Since I'm using two of the same reels I will put on 40' of 20# mono leader on first, 300' of copper, 50' of 25# big game,(The big game is to attach the church board) 150 yards of 50# spiderwire steath then as much 25#backing as the reel will hold.

Every thing on the top will be the same so all I need to do is count the number of passes of the level wind to determine how much 25# backing I get on the reel. I then will take the line off the first reel and wind it on the second reel followed by loading the first reel back up with backing (Number of passes the first time) 150# spiderwire steath, 25# for the board, copper and leader.

I would recommend using a Power Pro type braid in the 30-50 pound test range as backing. Many recommend using Mono as backing because the Copper doesn't stretch, but I have fished with Copper and Power Pro backing for 4 years with great success. The mono doesn't last as long and tends to break-off often. Power Pro allows for lots of backing and better strength than with mono. You will beed at least 150 yards of backing. Hope this helps!