Outriggers

Do any of the Charter Captains, or others here, run Outriggers? I have seen a few big Charter Boats with them but not many. I was just looking for the pros and cons about running them. It seems like 15 years or so back I saw a lot more of them. Are the Outriggers going the way of the nickel beer, or 35 cent a gallon gas?? One thing about Outriggers they look soooooo cool out on the pond.:) Kinda like fender skirts, or dual rear antennas on a car. :lol: I know that dates me. :lol: If I recall correctly most of the captains were using jettison weights with them. To me dumping lead would be one drawback.

We used to use them a lot to run drop weights, dipsy divers, and surface lures off of them. A few guys up north still use them for that and run their lead cores off of them as well. Most guys on the Great Lakes are getting rid of them because the planer board technology has evolved so much over the last 10 years. A few of the charter boats still lay them out in front of the piers in Grand Haven, so they have more room to themselves. :grin: That is how they are used the most as of late. :) Otherwise, they are just for looks.

Frank,

I used them on a boat that we were fishing in one of the porams on Lake O. We had our dipseys running off the outrigger, what a tool they are for that. One way to spread out your wires, and when they get smashed by a king, oh yea. You can have your back turned and all of a sudden TWANGGGGGG, fish on. As far as flat lines, I think the planers have taken over there, and I donot think they are long enough to run copper or lead off, if you are trying to keep it away from the boat. IMHO. Would love to put a set on the boat, but not going to happen on this boat.

Rich

Thanks for the replies Jon and Rich.

I'll bet they do go twang with a Dipsy load and fish releasing from the out rigger.:lol:

I never knew that outriggers were used for Dipsys. I'm building a couple of HD SS Trees. I could stick a couple of 15 foot outriggers out each side and use them like curb feelers along the piers.:lol: Yes the Planer Boards have come a long way in the past 10 or so years.

• 2 weeks later...