Our Night Program.

With work, Kids, and busy lives, we mainly fish the afternoon bite. In the past when the sun went down we would pull rods and head in (not that we wanted to, we just stopped getting fish). Last year with the help of others and experimenting, we came up with a night program for Kings. Often we would find kings in 80 to 120 fow during the afternoon, but as the sun was setting we will start switching lures and Flasher/Fly’s out for Moon Shine extended Glows. (I’ve tested all my glows against them and nothing compares to there longevity). I even pull my Dippseys/flasher/fly in and replace it with a Dippsey/glow spoon. When the sun hits the water get ready! Shortly after the sun sinks below the Horizon, it’s time to start working you way in towards shallower water. Start raising your rigs up also. Fish that where previously 60’ down, will rise to the top 40 fow. We start pulling rods when we get back in to 40-50 fow. Lots of lights in the boat is a must for fishing after dark..

On one trip to Port Sheldon last year, we where 2 for 3 after 2.5 hours of fishing. We switched over to this program, and very shortly there after we had 4 fish on with only 6 poles out (the fifth pole went off after netting the 4 and had to be released). On a different trip at Whitehall we got fish on this program as late as 1.5 hours after dark and as shallow as 40 fow.

This type of program works in reverse if you fish the pre dawn bite.

This is meant for the guys that struggle to get fish in low light, as we did for many years.

I never had much luck with the Moonshine lures until I learned how to use them.

Thanks,

Ken

The glows in low light do a number on them. I keep some glows out even during the day if I have something running deeper than 60 ft. We had a quad going in Manistee Aug of 06 with only two of us onboard. This was before sunup. with nothing but glows out.:)

I agree with running the Moonshines in the dark...they are super bright! When the surface temps were cold last year, I would run a couple only 20 down, 20 back on the riggers...you could still see the spoon very well. It would then shoot to the side or just disappear....FISH ON!!!!! :) Pretty fun.

I will often run a glow program on a choppy lake with overcast skies, too.

The glow finish on Lyman plugs is awesome. I like running them with the Moonshines for the glows.

My crew and I have termed that time in the sun just starts to kiss the surface of the water in the evenings as the 'witching hour'. It just seems like the next hour, you'd better watch out!

I will often run a glow program on a choppy lake with overcast skies, too.

The glow finish on Lyman plugs is awesome. I like running them with the Moonshines for the glows.

My crew and I have termed that time in the sun just starts to kiss the surface of the water in the evenings as the 'witching hour'. It just seems like the next hour, you'd better watch out!

Jason, Did you ever notice the sound the sun makes when it touches the water? Like putting a hot poker in a pail of water. TCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :)

Good tips. Going to make it a point to stay out a little longer this season. It did seem that the fish turned on right near sunset. Stupidly, I never thought to put on glows and try the darkness. Many less boats out at that time too.