Lund tyee 1850 Downrigger set-up?

I just purchased my first downriggers... 4 of the 48" Riveria Manual type for $300. I am novice skill level only have been out on charters but now have 1850 Lund. I plan on fishing Bayfield (superior) area. Wondering as to how to best set up boat as to how many lines, and type I should run. Any suggestions?

as you may know 3 poles per licence, so how many people will determine how many rods you are legal to run, i highly reccomend you get some tracks and mount both downriggers on the gunwall with one running off the back and the other off to the side, this will keep a wide spread and a "clearing" on your stern for fish netting, make sure to measure twice and cut/drill once, use 3M 5200 or GE rtv 102 caulk to seal the tracks and the drilled holes, stainless steel screws/bolts and nylon lock nutz and done forget a backing plate under the gunwall, frank recommended using one of those thick plastic cutting boards, (wish i thought of that) i used plate aluminum or ive heard plywood, FEEL FREE to put out anymore questions you may have

This how I set my 1700 fisherman lund.

DSCF2429.JPG

DSCF2430.JPG

DSCF2428.JPG

What I did was baught two walker 9" risers and then baught a piece of aircraft aluminum and made my own board. I like it this way because when netting a fish it seems to be alot safer when I can lean in to net a fish.

Good advice all the way around. My backing material is plywood. It has treated me well, but I would recomend using large diameter washers with the locknuts if using plywood.

My setup is to have the four riggers mounted in the back; two booms off the backs and one that pivots on swivel mounts to the side of the boat per side. Using slide tracks to mount your riggers will help you a lot. That'll give you the flexability of moving things around if you don't like the way your set up is without having to drill new holes each time.

I've seen Caz's setup and it is very nice to have the board as a barrier between you and the drink while netting fish.

Big congrats on the 1850! I like those boats. I'm also the pround owner of a Lund. They make a very good, stable boat.

Craz... and anyone else please give info. Looking at your set-up. How do you set your downriggers up? Meaning... Are the inside ones set deeper or shallower than the outside ones? Do you use the same type of weight/ball on all 4? Will you have the same lead length to your bait on all 4 or staggered somehow?

Also just general question on my boat the 1850 Tyee. That should be able to venture out a ways depending on seas of course but for the most part not need to be a shore hugger? - right. How far out do you go with yours?

Looking at your set-up... You run 4 riggers, what else will you normally run with that set? How many lines and what type of set-ups, boards, dipsy, 10 color lead core etc? Need info as to what else I should be looking at besides the 4 downriggers.

Craz... and anyone else please give info. Looking at your set-up. How do you set your downriggers up? Meaning... Are the inside ones set deeper or shallower than the outside ones? Do you use the same type of weight/ball on all 4? Will you have the same lead length to your bait on all 4 or staggered somehow?

Also just general question on my boat the 1850 Tyee. That should be able to venture out a ways depending on seas of course but for the most part not need to be a shore hugger? - right. How far out do you go with yours?

Looking at your set-up... You run 4 riggers, what else will you normally run with that set? How many lines and what type of set-ups, boards, dipsy, 10 color lead core etc? Need info as to what else I should be looking at besides the 4 downriggers.

When using all four riggers. I use my inside ones deeper than the outside ones. But you can run them anyway you like to. When in my tournament or called fishing league, what I do is just run my outside riggers and not my inside ones to keep everything clear out of the middle to make it eaiser to net fish.(plus we have a 6 rod rule) I also use 12lb cannon balls to keep that cable as straight down as possible. The leads I will stagger till I find something that will work better. Most of the time I will set my lines back 35'- 50' depending on the depth of water you are in.

In my 1700 fishermen lund I been out as far as 10 miles and that is if the waves are flat to 1'. The most important thing I learned was. Is to have a big enough moter to get you back in right away just incase it is calling for a storm.

What I will use if I take out 3 fishermen counting me is. 4 Rigger rods, 2 dipsies, and 2 whatever color rods you like to use on the side with a offshore board. In my league events because we have to use six rods only. I will use 2 rigger rods, 2 dipies, and 2 whatever color rods you like to use on a offshore board. But depending on the fish, if they bite better on riggers I will pull 2 other rods out and run 4 riigers and 2 other kinds out.

Hope this will help ya,

Its kinda easier to see your boat and show ya what you can do. With your 18' lund you can run whatever anyway you would like to because your boat has plenty of room.

Rich

Cazz, the back of mine is set up close to the way yours is except for some rod holders in the center. I also run my riggers in a V pattern with the inside riggers set the deepest.

I would run mine in a V pattern to but I think it is to close to my side ones, so i run them straight back till I get a fish on then i will put them in a V pattern.

Richhhh:D

I would run mine in a V pattern to but I think it is to close to my side ones, so i run them straight back till I get a fish on then i will put them in a V pattern.

Richhhh:D

Rich, I don't mean the position of the riggers when I said V pattern. My inside ones are pointing to the back and out and downs pointing to the sides, just like yours. I refer to the position or depth of canon balls as being in a V pattern or inverted V pattern. :)

A V pattern is when the inside riggers are set the deepest.

A inverted V pattern is when the outside riggers are set the deepest.

This terminology is just the way we always talked about our setups. Every crew or team has their own terminology. :) We must talk different on the East side of the state. :lol:

Rich, I don't mean the position of the riggers when I said V pattern. My inside ones are pointing to the back and out and downs pointing to the sides, just like yours. I refer to the position or depth of canon balls as being in a V pattern or inverted V pattern. :)

A V pattern is when the inside riggers are set the deepest.

A inverted V pattern is when the outside riggers are set the deepest.

This terminology is just the way we always talked about our setups. Every crew or team has their own terminology. :) We must talk different on the East side of the state. :lol:

Oh ok....:D

Now this should make things easier, but sometimes it doesn't seem to help. I have #'ered each of my riggers. Mailbox #'ers. When a fish hits on the riggers we frantically yell the #. Clockwise 1-4 are my #'ers. Now it should be simple, but I have yelled 1 and people will have no idea, I kind of chuckle as they jump around the back of the boat looking for #1. I guess all of the excitement must get to some:lol:. It is easier for me and those who fish most with me, and I like it. Maybe the next thing would be to try and # the rest of my rod holders for dipsy's and leadcore.

I just yell FISH ON. Like Mike said it's Universal.:) If someone can't see a Rigger rod up in the air, or a rod pounding with fish taking line, I just throw their A$$ overboard.:lol: All joking aside the number system is good. I don't have numbers on mine but I will usually yell "Port Dipsy" or "Starboard inside board". If you make it too easy it will not be any fun to watch the Fire Drill when you yell "FISH ON" :D

My set up is similiar to Caz's with 4 riggers mounted in the back and also on a Lund. I've run my riggers at varying depths with the insides shallower or deeper than the outsides. I haven't had an issue with tangles between the riggers.

My 6 line setup is exactly like Caz's; 2 side riggers with 12lb balls, 2 dipseys, and 2 cores. I'll adjust from there. If I have 3 or 4 people onboard, I'll use 3 or 4 riggers, a couple dipseys, and 2-4 cores.

I've also been 10-12 miles offshore before, particularly in May out of South Haven, when the fish tend to be deep. I also make sure I can get back in a hurry should something start to look strange with the weather.

With that Lund Tyee, you'll be very happy with the stability it has in waves. I've been impressed with how mine handles time and time again despite being a smaller boat.

Hope that helps :D

Newbie question.... The lead core poles work normally with a "J" plug type bait and are on the planer boards and the dipsies are on a mono-type line and just out on there own between the boards and riggers? Is that correct?

What type of bait on the dipsies?

Newbie question.... The lead core poles work normally with a "J" plug type bait and are on the planer boards and the dipsies are on a mono-type line and just out on there own between the boards and riggers? Is that correct?

What type of bait on the dipsies?

You can use any type of bait you want on lead core. In the spring on 2 or 3 colors you can pull stick baits(rapalas and such) for browns on them. I mostly pull spoons on mine. In the fall I will put some j-plugs on them, but most have spoons.

The dipsies can be mono, super line(braided) or wire. They are ran between your riggers and the boards.

I mostly run spinners and flies on dipsies. You can also fish J plugs and spoons behind them if you wish.

I would assume that it only has 2-3 colors on it. Have found in the past it is not good to clip an inline planer onto leadcore, as it weakens the core and can break easily. I always clip my planer to my backing.

When you say you run 2-3 colors for browns in the spring..... ? Does your pole only have that many colors on it? or are you using a 5, 10 color core but only letting 2-3 out?

They only have 2 or 3 colors on them.

DRATH, when running lead you are supposed to let all the lead line out, a full core is usually 10 colors at 10 yards per color or 100yards. also you have to let a ammount of your backing out (i let out 50-100ft) as well to allow the lead to sink. imagine if you have your rod in a holder and the rod is pointed skyward and you stop right at the end of the core you probbly have close to one color in the air, if you do that you will not get the lead to sink fully and get the acheived dept you are trying to reach!!! john

Guys, I appreciate the info and the time you have spent educating me on the sport. I am getting close to pulling the trigger on buying my rod/reel combos. I will describe my basic plan, if you can add to fill in the details please do.

I will probably run 4-8 line depending on the situation etc. (currently have 4 downriggers)

1. 4 - downrigger rods/reels - 8'6" medium heavy rods with Okuma Magda Pro 30Dx reels. Around $200 bucks new off EBAY.

2. 2 - Dipsy diver set-ups. These run a little taller? 9'-9'6"? Heavier action rod" Same type reel?

3. Lead/copper cores. I was thinking of setting up 2 with 2-3 colors on them and 2 more either half or full core set-ups. These are shorter rods? again medium heavy? It is more important to have line oounters on these and the dipsies than on the downriggers. Suggestions?

4. Need balls and boards. Will be fishing primarily Superior, Bayfield, Ashland area, maybe Aloma on Lake Michigan. I should definately get balls all of same weight 8, 10, or 12lbs? Planer board make/model suggestion?

• 1 month later...

New Member - First Post! (Great Site BTW)

Caz - Could you give some details on the aluminum you used for your board? Location? Size/specs? Cost? I too have a Fisherman 1700 and would like to hit the big pond this spring/summer (I'll be fishing out of Milwaukee/Port Washington). Yours looks like it's set up for many hours of good times on the water - Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Also, my GPS puck is located in the area of where I'd mount a board - any worries about interference???

Thanks to all for their input...Coach

New Member - First Post! (Great Site BTW)

Caz - Could you give some details on the aluminum you used for your board? Location? Size/specs? Cost? I too have a Fisherman 1700 and would like to hit the big pond this spring/summer (I'll be fishing out of Milwaukee/Port Washington). Yours looks like it's set up for many hours of good times on the water - Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Also, my GPS puck is located in the area of where I'd mount a board - any worries about interference???

Thanks to all for their input...Coach

Pm sent

• 3 weeks later...