Attaching Track Systems

Just bought a new track system and was wondering the best way to put them on the boat. Got 2 12" pieces of track with three screw holes but I am wondering if that will hold or if I need to add a little to it. Maybe a glue of some sort?

I would think there would be at least 4 holes, 2 on each end, an inch or so away from the edges. Check the area before drilling. I would add a backer underneath. I have found that the inexpensive plastic cutting boards make great backers.:)

I used the Traxtech system on my old boat and had the 12 inch tracks too. The 3 holes used for mounting are sufficient and it is recommended to have some sort of backing on the underside of the gunwale. I used 1/2 inch plywood and it worked great. Make sure you use locknuts too so the tracks won't shake loose when pounding over waves, etc. I mounted downriggers on mine and they worked really well. You'll like the track system and they're very versatile.

-Kevin-

I used the Traxtech system on my old boat and had the 12 inch tracks too. The 3 holes used for mounting are sufficient and it is recommended to have some sort of backing on the underside of the gunwale. I used 1/2 inch plywood and it worked great. Make sure you use locknuts too so the tracks won't shake loose when pounding over waves, etc. I mounted downriggers on mine and they worked really well. You'll like the track system and they're very versatile.

-Kevin-

I agree. I used 1/2" plywood and it's treated me well. Also, I used a very thin gasket material, like rubber or silicone around the holes to help keep water out and prevent scratching on my boat finish. I've seen it without any gasket material without issues as long as you don't mind a small amount of moisture in the gunnell.

The tracks are great for versatility future add-ons. You'll like them.

Mike,

I don't know how thick your gunnel's are, but all I used were the largest stainless fender washers I could fit as a backer then stainless lock nuts. I have had no issues what so ever and I absolutely love the tracks. Where are you mounting them?

Bill

That's cool. Vinnie is a good guy. How thick are your gunnel's? Mine are like a 1/4 inch wood (It's a teak insert) and the fender washers work fine. I have the Cisco triples mounted in 6 inch tracks. No flex or movement at all. Good luck and post some pic's!!

I put on triples on both port and starboard of my fiberglass boat. I would not go without some sort of backing under your gunnel. The simple fact is it will spread the load and sure things up. I know what an investment this is. Hate to see a couple of rod holders and a track system fly off the boat into the water.

The boat is still in storage so I can't say for sure yet on any of that. I do remember that I did put some plywood backer underneath that though. If I remember right it had a weird angle under the gunnel though. Mybe another week and I'll get it out of storage so's I can tinker a bit.

How close to the riggers is to close?