meat rigs

I like the Twinkie glow bait rigs for the lower light conditions best. I've just had the best luck with them in lower light, probably because the tape on them has a strong glow characteristic to it. I've always run them behind spin doctors and pro chip flashers, so I dont' have any experience with the kingfisher.

I also home make some of my own bait rigs with small flies and sticks/beads to get the spacing and leader length to my liking. White and blue mixed with white and green has been my favorite.

The Twinkie Twinkie Bait Rig was one of the first cut bait rigs created. It is from New York and originated on Lake Ontario. It is a very nice rig. But, over the last five years there has been a lot of competitors that have come into the mix. The Kingfisher II flasher is made in Canada and is very similar to John King's Reel Flasher and the Assassin Flashers made in New York. Overall, I have used all three of these flashers and have never noticed any difference in performance. Each brand has specific color patterns that are not available in their competitors. The Kermit Glow and Green Casper Glow are by far the best Kingfisher II flashers that I have used. Many of John King's flashers are great colors and similar to the colors we have used on Spin Doctors and FishCatchers over the years. These flashers also work well with flies as well. If you have any other questions about Flashers and Meat Rigs, please feel free to ask!

I personally like cut hearing strips, particularly the ones that have that herring oily stuff in them. They fit nicely into most meat rig heads and the oily herring sauce stays with the meat nicely.

I've used various sized flashers and all with success. I own more 8-10" flashers and tend to go to them first and adjust from there, but that's not really anything concrete.

my 2cents,

I have only used whole herring. I think it is going to be hard to find pre-packaged strips this year as I have heard that rhys davis and Fish-On are both discontinuing the pre made strips. Sounds easy enough to make your own though. If you plan on using the whole herring make sure you get the Super Magnum bait heads.

I would't use anything but home made strips from green lable herring. I also use Captain John Kings 10" BTI's and ReelFlashers almost exclusively with three and two fly rigs with his magnum and super magnum heads. I have tried several other brands of meat heads and flashers and caught fish, but his out perform the competition. They are more expensive than the competition, but made in the USA and tough as nails.

DAMAGE:

Manistee2004.gif