Cheesy Salmon Chowder

Yooperdad

Just saw MuskyBob's recipe and I know what is for dinner next Friday:) This one I made Thursday and it is great. Easy, fast, and folks who normally don't like fish try it and will love it too.

Yooperdad

Cheesy Salmon Chowder

Makes 8 servings

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 30 Minutes

Ready in: 45 Minutes

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter

3/4 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 cups diced potatoes

2 cups chicken broth

1 cups diced carrots

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dried dill weed

2 (16 ounce) cans salmon, drained (Original recipe called for canned salmon. Any fish can be used.)

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn

1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion, celery and garlic powder in butter until onions are translucent. Stir in potatoes, broth, carrots, salt, pepper and dill. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are done.

2. Cube 2-3# salmon filets. Simmer in broth drawn from step #1. When fish is cooked, add everything to the big pot.

3. Stir in evaporated milk, corn and shredded Cheddar until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Deal muskybob. Hey I see US Army 66-67. Nam?

No, I lucked out. I got sent to Germany for 17 months. Somehow 97 of the 99 guys I was in training with got sent to Nam. I got Germany, and the other guy got Stateside. I wish I had that kind of luck salmon fishing. :) I consider myself very lucky to be able to get out on the water and I often wonder how many of the guys I was in basic & other training with made it back. I pray for them all, especially Veterans Day and Memorial Day. God Bless America!

It's a small world. I was in Bamberg, Germany, 65-68, then on to Viet Nam from there after some special training. Lot of memories, some much better than others.

Just checked your website. Neat. Loved your fishing poem. My "Hippner Pond" was Fisherman's Paradise on Spring Creek near Bellefonte, PA, where my Dad started taking me fly fishing when I was about 9. Those were the days:)

I love chowder. The cheesy chowder recipe made me think about cheese storage. If you ever had cheese go moldy in the refrigerator this may help.

Take 1/2 of a paper towel sheet and fold it to about a 2 or 3 inch square. Moisten this sheet with white vinegar and put it in the shredded cheese bag or in with a chunk of cheese. The vinegar will not alter the cheese in any way, but you will never have moldy cheese. A Cheesy Grin.:D

We have cheese go moldy all the time. Thanks for the tip. Going to try it today:)

Mike

Give it a whirl. No more blue cheese here.:) Vinegar has been used for centuries as a preservative. I never had a dill pickle or bottle of ketchup up go bad.

Vinegar is also good for medicinal purposes. Dilute some apple cider vinegar in warm water, and drink it when you have a sore throat or a cold. Eating a dill pickle will also help with a cold or sore throat.

Eat Chowder and Dill Pickles.:lol:

• 2 years later...

How did i miss this recipe. That sounds fantastic. Im definitely gonna try this as i just might have some canned salmon around.

Also, thank you both for your service and sacrifices.

...And lastly, thanks for that cheesy grin and tip Frank. Cheese doesnt normally last that long around here, but if its looking like it might be in storage for a bit ill definitely give that a whirl.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally tried thiis recipie with a few changes. I used smoked salmon and threw in five pieces of cut up bacon. Then I threw some fresh chives and grated cheese on each bowl. Wow is this chowder some good stuff. I can't wait to hit the leftovers tonight when I get home from fishing. I knew there was a reason to catch salmon.

I just want to thank bolth Bob and Mike For there recipies. I have made bolth now and serve them at Huge wild game dinner every Jan for a school fundraiser and it is one of the favorite dishes out of the 2 to 3 hundred different ones served. I make approx 5 gallons of each and its always goes so fast not everyone gets to try it.

Also want to thank bolth of you for my freedom. I did not serve in the military but I thank god everyday for those of you who did.