Heads Up Chevrolet Silverado Rear Disc Brakes

Priority1

Some of the Chevrolet Silverados with rear disc brakes are having a rust problem in the Northern salt states. The rear rotors especially on trucks that are not used a lot are rusting severely. The severe rust on the rotors is damaging the rear pads. I don't think there is a recall on them, but most of the dealers are aware of the problem and are covering most of the cost, even if the truck is out of warranty. I just had new rear rotors and pads installed and the front rotors turned. My truck is a 03 1500 with 22K miles. My cousin has a 02 HD with about 40K miles, that had the same problem. The bill on mine was $103 to me. I know most of you trailer boats and need the extra stopping power, that may not be there when you need it. Have them brakes checked if you are experiencing any noise or slight shaking when the brakes are applied. Heck!! I think I'm going to have mine checked every Spring from here on out. I know that some of the 05-08 models have went back to rear drum brakes. I think all of this applies to the GMCs also.

Thanks Frank,

I will get my 2001 GMC brakes checked before boating season. I have been a little concerned about them this winter. It is helpful to know why I may be experiencing diminished braking power.

I just changed the rear brakes on my 02 Hd Dmax with 150+ k on it. the rear rotors still looked great. What I want to know Frank is, How do you only put 22 k miles on a truck in 5 years? Thats great.

Two hip replacements slowed me down 2 years in a row. The $3+/ per gallon of fuel also limits my truck use. I use it to haul and tow and not much else. I would guess it cost me around double to drive my 4X4 truck compared to my Chev Impala. My 04 Impala has 83K miles. I also live about 10 miles away from the boat launch I use the most. When I want to go fishing, I don't hesitate.

04 is actually when they went back to drum brakes.

I own a '03 Silverado with 80,000 on it now and did the rear brakes at about 37,000 miles.

Its not a big deal to me since I'm in the automotive repair field. (Actually worked at a Dealer when I did my brakes, Chevy dealer at that!)

Some dealers may take care of you and some may not! The Dealer I worked for would not have been so nice since brakes are a wear item and are technically only covered for 12 months/12,000 miles whichever comes first. (Most new car warranties are the same)

20+ years in the car repair business speaking 10+ at dealers.....

Need any help/info let out a shout!!!

I can tell you that I used American made steel rotors for replacements and I acutally used a ceramic pad as a replacement too (Not GM parts) wink wink!!!

Careful buying rotors, most will have made in China stamped right on them even if the box says made in USA!

And lastly...... Not Just Silverado, I've got F150's and Dodges that come in with rear brakes (disc) looking the same. Sometimes not using a vehicle enough is just as bad as using it too much.... Know what I mean?????

You are right Tim on the other brands also. My last truck a 94 F150 had to have the front rotors turned every 5-10K miles because the rotors would warp after a hard stop. I sold that truck with 120K after buying the 03 Silverado new.

As far as the warranty issue goes dealers in most of the Northern States are covering this rust issue. I think NAFTA or CAFTA may be responsible for the low quality rotors that were original. These rotors look like they are laminated and not cast. The Dealers will NOT cover the pads as these are normal wear items. I know my cousins 02 HD Silverado was covered under this soft recall. Some of the other years are not. The dealers and the service reps will sometimes go to bat for you, because of this wide spread issue.:) Whether your vehicle is covered or not, getting it fixed is of the utmost importance. Pulling a trailer with bad brakes is a recipe for disaster, no matter who built the truck. Thus the reason for this post. Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/02/gm_regional_recall.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_silverado_brakes.html

Those articles are about ABS malfunctions not rusted rotors.

This is going to get long.....

The older style Wheel speed sensors used to junk up and would cause ABS to actuate without there being a need for ABS. There are a couple of comments in there where people had to replace rusted rotors but the bulk of this is completely unrelated to what your talking about.

I'm going to make it shorter.....

Where did you get the term "Soft" recall?

A Recall-Owners are notified and NO out of pocket for SAFETY concerns.

TSB's were put on early '03 on the brakes of GM Trucks. Ugly idea but it may have helped!

You went in with a concern and the dealer helped from a customer service standpoint.

And..... 03' models all brands come into my shop with similar RUSTED interior brake rotors and evidence of calipers hanging up. Not 94s that warp rotors...

Rear disc brakes are a bad idea on a truck PERIOD. You don't have the stopping power that a Rear Drum offers.

I don't want this thread to turn into a pissing contest. My intent was to bring a serious brake problem that GM has recognized and has dealt with on a somewhat limited basis. I know other manufacturers have had their problems. I know we all love our trucks. I hope I haven't offended anyone. PEACE:) I'll remove the links because they only mention the rusted rotors limitedly.:) My next car or truck will be a GM.:)

This has been true since they went to rear disk brakes in 1999 I belive. I only have my truck serviced at a Gm goodwrench service center here in plainwell and after the first brake job they told me to go with aftermarket brakes and to stay away from the Genuine Gm replacemant brakes. I was told that they had the problem worked out for the 07 and 08. My truck is a 2000.

I don't want this thread to turn into a pissing contest. .

No pissing whatsoever, it sticks to stuff....lol....

I was just making sure an informational website like this one, stayed with factual information. The reason people go to forums like this is for information.

Since automotive repair is my profession, I was puttin my .02 cents in to!

I LOVE my Truck as do we all!!!

Next GM is the Duramax!

Questions for Tim DV8R. I know the rear brakes don't usually wear as fast as the front. Can I deduce that the front brakes usually do most of the work? I was wondering if driving a few hundred feet with the parking brake on slightly would help keep these rear rotors shined up? I think the parking brake only engages the rear brakes. I sure want the rear brakes to be online when I need em. Just a thought.

I guess one thing most everyone agrees with, Is that the trucks should have stayed with Drum Brakes in the rear. Was it weight, or cost that made them go down this road?

Questions for Tim DV8R. I know the rear brakes don't usually wear as fast as the front.

Can I deduce that the front brakes usually do most of the work? I was wondering if driving a few hundred feet with the parking brake on slightly would help keep these rear rotors shined up? I think the parking brake only engages the rear brakes. I sure want the rear brakes to be online when I need em. Just a thought.

I guess one thing most everyone agrees with, Is that the trucks should have stayed with Drum Brakes in the rear. Was it weight, or cost that made them go down this road?

I'm going to help here as much as I can without starting more pissing matches....lol...

Rear drum brakes don't normally wear as fast as front disc.

Of the dealers I spent time at 4 wheel disc systems (some foreign included) rear disc brakes wear first usually do to (in my opinion) a minor design flaw, too small. (They are not usually as big as the setups in front).

The rear disc brakes on our Silverados actually have a drum style shoe set inside the rear rotors so this will not help with keeping the rotors "clean" It will just wear out the drum setup inside the disc (which we, well I never use anyway because its an automatic) I do work my e brake pedal though occasionally just so cables, etc stay moving/used!

This is like everything else, you talk to 4 people you get 4 opinions.

You want an honest opinion on how to keep the brakes lasting....

Have someone pull everything apart every once in a while and clean/lube/adjust (where applicable). This of course is going to vary by application. I have 80k on my 03 and you have 20k.... So every 10-15,000 miles for me and once a year for you!

Back to my opinion.... Dirt and crap gets caught in the caliper and keeps it from "squeezing" the rotor to its fullest potential. The TSB I talked about earlier stated to put a mud flap on the front (yes front) of the rear wheel well to slow down the dirt and crap. Thats why I said "ugly" idea.

As far as the "weight" or "cost" question, I have the "real" answer but I would rather not post it on the world wide web. PM for phone number. When I tell you the real deal, your jaw will drop, as did mine once I found it out.

But will you have to kill me after my jaw drops???:lol:

My parking brake gets used a lot especially on the ramps. I just don't trust the park pawl when I'm behind the truck operating the trailer winch. Thanks for the info. I had no idea the parking brake was a separate drum type brake. I'll definitely have them serviced every year. That M55 Roller Coaster between Cadillac and Manistee, I better not say how fast I go downhill to gain enough momentum for the uphill. Good thing my trailer brakes are good.

If I remember right we both have 03 Silverados and 02 Impalas?

Something tells me your Impala is newer then mine (04 comes to mind) but anyway, wait until we get into the Impala brakes together ;).

The little Impala's warp rotors up nicely!

A little brake maintenance can save these too!!!

Ebrake on the ramp here as well. Depends on wether I'm launching for speed or not.

Well shoot with the tips on the Impala, and TYVM:)

I do own an 04. I think I had the rotors turned twice while under warranty, and at 65 or 70K I had a complete brake job including 4 new rotors. The rotors were rusted severely. This was done at garage in Tawas. It's been about a year on those brakes and so far no wobble feel when the brakes are applied. I got to know that wobble feel of a warped rotor, because my last F150 would warp the front rotors quite regularly. I can handle a little wrench work and may start doing some of this maintenance my self.:)