Night time or Day time

caznik

When is your favorite time to fish on the great lakes  

73 members have voted

1. 1. When is your favorite time to fish on the great lakes

• Night Time
    • Day Time

Hello Member's,

Well when is your favorite time to fish on the great lakes?

Well my favorite time is at night when there is not to many fisherman out fishing and I have the lake to myself. When I fish at Frankfort, there has been alot of times when everyone is coming back in and I will go out fishing till 3am and have alot of luck. It is alot of fun trying to catch a fish in the dark to.

well what is your favorite time,

Cazzzz

We like to start in the 5:00 pm range and fish into the dark. We have had some great action after dark but, if your boat is not setup for it, It can be a challenge.

I think the AM fishing is a lot easer when your closer to the lake.

I've only been fishing Lk Mi for a year, but the best time I've found is 6pm -11pm. Right at sundown the rods seem to fire on a regular basis. Day trips seem to be boat rides. Only had one morning trip and it was cut short due to weather and the technocolor yawn being displayed over the side of the boat. :eek::(

technocolor yawn

That is sweet!... LOL

Can't say I ever heard that before.

I can't say I like any 1 more then the other 1.

As long as I'm on the water with rods set it seems to appeal to me equally. I frigging love it man!

I hang out fishin' with you guys in the a.m. leagues which of course sparks an idea to me....... Night League Date!!!

Dv8oR's Lair Tourney Only the Strong Survive... Maybe an August event??? Come on Rich man!!! September??? Maybe a Tuff Man kinda thing!

I love the 5:00 - 8:00 AM and the 7:00 - 10:00 PM time frames. Anyone ever notice on Lake Michigan; when the Sun hits the water and you hear that sizzling sound, The Kings go nuts.:)

I agree %100 with you Frank. When the suns hits the water, GET READY!

I noticed when it's late in the day, the fish really start to come up. If we where whacking fish at 60' earlier in the day, as soon as the son drops the fish will come up to 30'-40'

Ken.

I love the 5:00 - 8:00 AM and the 7:00 - 10:00 PM time frames. Anyone ever notice on Lake Michigan; when the Sun hits the water and you hear that sizzling sound, The Kings go nuts.:)

You are correct Frank, here on Erie it's the same. I tell the guys when we are out at night, "as soon as the sun hit's the water, get ready!"

• 1 year later...

When the big ball drops the rods pop anyone who thinks morning fishing is the best don't night fish. Don't get me wrong I like to fish in the morning it is great but the battle at the boat launch and running out to try and be in the right spot before it slows down can really suck. Compared to this I hit the launch around around 6pm and it is all mine i can take my time if need be to dbl chk without people honking and yelling at me. I have never been stuck behind a boat that would not start or a crew member being a few min late. I have time to stop at the bait shop and get a updated report on where they were in the morning. By 7pm I am rolling out to where I want to fish with a solid plan of where I want to be at sundown so I will cruise around the area and find the bait ball and look for fish laying on the bottom. By 7:30 we are setting lines high and wide on cores for Steelhead low and deep on divers and riggers for Kings and Lakers and we start picking away at fish. As Sundown approaches every thing gets reset to a predawn approach and all hell breaks loose shortly after sundown we are headed in with a full box and a smile from ear to ear. It happens all the time because Salmon feed in low light conditions once the sun is up they slid off and relax sure they will grab a easy snack if they feel like it but night fishing is like trying to grab a meal at the Buffet at 6:30 the pattern is full of eaters. The basic body clock of millions can't be all that wrong.

this might sound a little bit crazy but i like getting up a 12 am and yes am getting to the launch just to see that last night fishermen load up. there we are getting ready to hit tha water at 12;30 and get rod with five minutes of the motor out and come back with a box kings and coho by 6 am. it was kinda funny to see the look we got when we said what time we got out. but hey im young and a few cups of coffee and a 5 hour power boost and im ready to do it again that night

this might sound a little bit crazy but i like getting up a 12 am and yes am getting to the launch just to see that last night fishermen load up. there we are getting ready to hit tha water at 12;30 and get rod with five minutes of the motor out and come back with a box kings and coho by 6 am. it was kinda funny to see the look we got when we said what time we got out. but hey im young and a few cups of coffee and a 5 hour power boost and im ready to do it again that night

Matt, When I was your age my dad would tell me, "You can't burn the candle on both ends". I would reply, "Just watch me". Right now I'd be up for a midnight trip, but I'd sleep all day to do it again.:) Many moons ago I would fish all night work the next day, catch a lil nap ZZZZs and do it all again.:)

I just like to be on the water! Can be any time..... day, or night. I prefer a couple 3 hours in the morning and evening for salmon, with a nap during the afternoon:D I actually love it when the lake is full of boats, that usually means the fishing is good. I also love to hear the chatter on the 1MC as well! Its all fun;)

I just like to be on the water! Can be any time..... day, or night. I prefer a couple 3 hours in the morning and evening for salmon, with a nap during the afternoon:D I actually love it when the lake is full of boats, that usually means the fishing is good. I also love to hear the chatter on the 1MC as well! Its all fun;)

Sean, You are so right. It all goes together. It's a lot of work, but it's a labor of love. The Whine of the rigger cables, the screaming reels, the radio BS,:) and the best two words run together, "FISHON".

If conditions are good, I would much rather put in a long day trip then an evening trip or two trips a day. We usually roll out about 5:30 to 6:00 in the morning and come in around 1 to 3 in the afternoon. If its crowded we may go earlier and at times we may fish an evening trip or two depending on the crew and what their capable of.

We catch many fish late morning and mid-day, especially if the fishing has been good in the evenings and not good in the mornings. I can't count the number of times we have had 1 of 2 fish at 10 or even 11:30 and end up with 10 or more by 3:00 in the afternoon.

Last thing if your going to fish tournaments fishing at night, early mornings, and evenings are not going to teach you how to catch fish in the middle of the day. You have to go out and learn.

I'm hoping to fish late night this year. Usually we are in about dark thirty. But I Looove the mornings. Most of you know I fish the straights of Mack...So you are out in the bay before the ferry boats start running. THe sun is usually behind the island so you have thea early morning light a little longer and it's so quiet...that is until you hear zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....z.z..z.zz.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... :P Love to hear those drags. Of course then that sun pops over the island and it's shutdown time :(

• 1 month later...

any time is my favorite but i do like my night fishing.we do some night trips out of frankfort and manistee.we have had some great trips at night,two biggest fish last year were caught after midnight.having the lake to your self is a big bonus.will be at it again this year