silver or gold ? (maybe copper)

With the increasingly clearer water conditions occurring very rapidly, silver spoons are the go-to color of blades because they can be used in all different conditions and days. Each color blade also has it's go-to for specific species as well. Gold blades are often used in rainy and fog conditions, for steelhead, and in muddy or not clear water areas. Copper blades are also used in rainy conditions, for walleye, and in muddy or not clear water areas. These are the three types of blades used for Salmon and Trout on Lake Michigan, with the most popular being silver, then gold, and then copper. Silver is the most popular frankly because anyone can go fishing at anytime and be successful. While others, like myself, have certain colors of Stinger spoons in silver, gold, and copper to use, if needed for specific and certain weather and water conditions, even though these may only be used or needed a couple times a year.

thanks for answers.

HitMan

can you tell me difference of water clarity befween clean and muddy ? 4-6 meters (13- 20 ft) its clean or muddy water ?

Here most popular are the copper blanks and I try understand its becasue most fishermans troll less that 30ft or its becasue the water is muddy.

Silver spoons are definitely the most popular and produce the most. When I say "muddy" water, I am mainly referring to the Grand River. When the water is extremely muddy, you can't even see one foot below the surface. But, silver spoons do work well in this "muddy" water as well.

I don't know any specifics or how to clarify "muddy" water vs. clear water. I guess three easy ways to look at it are: brown "muddy" water, green murky water, or blue clear water. Those could be three steps of clarification. When offshore in the blue clear water, we can see our downrigger weight 30-40 feet down and when in the brown "muddy" water sometimes we can't see it on the surface, so I guess the middle could be green murky water.

If you bought a lot of silver spoons, I wouldn't be too worried. They will work and produce. The best way to figure out what is best is to go fishing, experiment, and remember what worked and didn't work. After you experiment with the silver spoons, then you can purchase a few gold and/or copper spoons of the same pattern and see how they work compared to the silver spoons. The only way to know what truly works is to try it for yourself! Lots of baits that work well in Grand Haven, don't work as great in Muskegon and they are only 10 miles apart. The same is true for other ports as well as Wisconsin and Michigan, even though it is the same lake. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

They all have their time and place. Try a gold blanked version of your favorite spoon some time. Run it generally higher in the water column than the silver blanks. Believe me the fish will show a preference on a daily basis, I was shocked as I ran them on opposite sides and saw the results myself. Copper works well up high and in shallow or stain. Lake O and Erie do well on copper or brass backed spoons. Check out Great Lakes Angler Magazine in May, there will be a feature on this topic.