dive bomb how to

dive bombs are nothing more than a diving lip/bill very similar to the lip/bill on crank bait, you just clip them on your line. as easy as that. i do not know of any published dive curve data. ive never owned or used them so thats all ive got to say about that.....john

The Dive Bomb comes in 1, 2, 3, and 4 ounce. They can clip on mono., lead core, and copper to achieve greater depths with less line out. Example: We use the 1 and 2 ounce to get spoons just below the surface while using mono. The 3 and 4 ounce has been very useful to achieve greater depths of lead core or copper. Such as, a 4 ounce Dive Bomb clipped on a full core at around the 5 color mark will achieve approximately 70 ft. Come take a look at the Stinger booth, Grand Rapids show.

I ran these all of last season. There is a rubber plug that holds the line to the Dive Bomb. I honestly think I was getting fish from the 75-80' with a 4oz Dive Bomb on a full core.

Stinger redesigned the Dive Bombs for this year. They have an even bigger planing surface, with the same amounts of weight.

I was hoping the depth curves would come out last year, but they never materialized. This spring, I will spend some time testing, and come up with my own depth curves.

• 3 months later...
Hello guys,

how far from lure do you clip dive bomb or other sinkers ?

Anton,

How far you clip above it is your choice. You can clip it 6ft above your bait if you want. Then you do not have to remove it when you have a fish on. The one problem you may have with this is, someone may not stop reeling before they get to the dive bomb. The rod tip may knock the plug out of the dive bomb, and you may end up loosing it.

Generally, I attach it to the first color of lead after the leader.

do you need to worry about it sinking a planer board with say a 4 oz weight with full core?and with the planing device is it planing down or to the side?

Don,

The Dive Bomb planes down, not to the side. You will not have a problem a 4oz DB and a full core. I run them like this all the time without issues.

This setup should get your bait down around 80'.

do you need to worry about it sinking a planer board with say a 4 oz weight with full core?and with the planing device is it planing down or to the side?

The Dive Bomb will only plane down. They don't plane to the side. Mike was running a full core with a 4 oz Dive Bomb. The more line out, the less the weight effects the board. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I use Dive Bombs for lake Michigan.Mostly on lead core but braid or mono also.I use 2,4,6 oz it's like adding 1 color per oz to lead core.I use 60ft of leader and clip them on the lead core at the knot.I have a planner mast and you can really vary your spread.Anyway I like them and have had no problem using them.Hope this helps,good luck and stay safe!

• 2 weeks later...
I use Dive Bombs for lake Michigan.Mostly on lead core but braid or mono also.I use 2,4,6 oz it's like adding 1 color per oz to lead core.I use 60ft of leader and clip them on the lead core at the knot.I have a planner mast and you can really vary your spread.Anyway I like them and have had no problem using them.Hope this helps,good luck and stay safe!

If you clip the dive bomb on at the lead core end of your leader wouldn't that kill the hypnotic rise/fall that the lead core seems to be good at? I would think you would want the dive bomb on after the lead core (or at least some/most of it) is deployed?

I've also heard the dive bomb can assist in a charging fish to help eliminate slack line. The bomb drops and takes up the slack.

Lobi,I should have mentioned that I do rig them after the core at the backer knot also.It's usually just a whim,I think you get a little different action each way.Some people will put them in the middle of the core.How ever you rig them they work.