TWIC <---Very Important

Everyone heard of this? Every captain will need one of these by September. It is supposed to be a card that we have to carry with us on the water when we are carrying passengers. The process is easy from what I have heard, yet a little time consuming since you have to go to a registered CG station. If you have any questions call someone like Dennis Daniels of Sea Tech Marine Training or the coast guard. Sorry I cant fill ya in more, but it is fairly new news to me too. I will update this when I go through the process.

Go to the following site, pre-register, print out the bar code and set up a appointment at a site nearest you. With a captains license you get a reduced rate but it will expire when your license expires or you can pay full price for 5 years. I'm through the appointment, and waiting for the card. With no notices being posted not many people know about this yet, so expect long lines by the end of summer.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm

• 1 month later...

I'm finding the TWIC to be the least of my problems. You guys also know about having your boats documented I assume. I just sent my Fact of build on my 30 year old Grady back into the CG Documentation center in Virgina for the second time. Seems the guy who checked mine the first time is that stations hard ass. Grady Whites rep didn't sign my Fact of Build proof paper so they want that. And when I chose the Coastwise designation not fishing then mentioned that I was a fishing charter, they made me call Customs to ask exactly what designation I needed. What a head ache.

• 2 weeks later...

Been over 8 weeks and still haven't heard a thing since going in for our TWIC cards. Had it done in Toledo when I went down to get finger printed for a renewal. So whenever they call it back to Toledo to get it out of the locked safe. Another $135:eek: and we're supposed to wear it at all times???:angry2:

Been over 8 weeks and still haven't heard a thing since going in for our TWIC cards. Had it done in Toledo when I went down to get finger printed for a renewal. So whenever they call it back to Toledo to get it out of the locked safe. Another $135:eek: and we're supposed to wear it at all times???:angry2:

Finally got my boat documented.:angry2: I can now officially be hailed and identified as "the Vessel Walleye Express" BIG DEAL. And I know the documentation license (or whatever you want to call it) is renewed every year for free (if you remember to send it in). But what about the TWIC card/I.D.? And I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to feel a bit strange wearing an I.D. badge with my picture on it while fishing. Should make everybody aboard feel real warm and friendly. Like having your State Cop brother in law show up at the Super Bowl party wearing his uniform. If I don't somehow hit or scrape this badge off when working lines and have it fall off into the water I'l be surprised.:mad: Maybe I'll pin it to the cheek of my butt in protest. :)

Finally got my boat documented.:angry2: I can now officially be hailed and identified as "the Vessel Walleye Express" BIG DEAL. And I know the documentation license (or whatever you want to call it) is renewed every year for free (if you remember to send it in). But what about the TWIC card/I.D.? And I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to feel a bit strange wearing an I.D. badge with my picture on it while fishing. Should make everybody aboard feel real warm and friendly. Like having your State Cop brother in law show up at the Super Bowl party wearing his uniform. If I don't somehow hit or scrape this badge off when working lines and have it fall off into the water I'l be surprised.:mad: Maybe I'll pin it to the cheek of my butt in protest. :)

Dan and others;

i spent most of the afternoon on the phone with the Coast Guard, US Customs and Border Protection (Border Patrol) and some Lawyer in Washington, D.C.

According to them, this law went into effect about 5 years ago.

But, I am thinking that as long as they issue my license, using the registration info for my (boat) vessel from the state, then I think I am good to go.

I went and registered for my TWIC card on 03/27/08 and I pick it up on 04-10-08 it took two weeks I was told at the office in Traverse City Mi. that I just had to have it on me, so far its been a smooth ride it only took 10 days for my documentation. I hope my season goes this smooth :grin:

Dan and others;

i spent most of the afternoon on the phone with the Coast Guard, US Customs and Border Protection (Border Patrol) and some Lawyer in Washington, D.C.

But, I am thinking that as long as they issue my license, using the registration info for my (boat) vessel from the state, then I think I am good to go.

I was told from the USCG in Grand Haven that we were going to boarded this year (not while we are fishing), but it will be before or after and if your vessel is not documented you better have the paper work saying its in the works.The TWIC Card is required in September. I do hope when we get boarded after that they leave us alone. The USCG in Manistee are a good bunch of guys. That is true the law do go in effect awhile ago but now its going to enforced. We have a new commander in the greatlakes and things have changed. But I do know if you talk to two different people you will get two different answers.:confused:

Dan and others;

Like I said in my previous post Shu. You guys on that side of the world might escape the eforcement of this Documentation law/rule for a while or forever (who knows). But if you keep asking or probing somebody will see

Well, got my TWIC card taken care of yesterday. But there was some discrepency about what the cost was. I had taken in a scanned copy of my CG license with me and was told the discounted price would be $105.25, so I wrote out the check. But then the official noticed that my CG license expired in Sept of this year 2008. She then said there would be an additional charge because the background check back in 2003 (when I got my last CG license) was not the same as after 2005, so I needed to pay the additional charge of $27.25 for the newer background check. So it seemed that having a CG license issued after 2005 and bringing in a copy with you was the only qualification for the discount. But then she made another point that made little to no sense. She also said that the TWIC card expires on the same date as your CG license does. So if I had paid the smaller discounted amount and the expiration date had not been noticed, the TWIC card would have expired in September 2008 along with my CG license. So what the hell is the advantage even if your license was issued in 2005 and qualifies for the discount, if the card itself expires when your license does. She could not answer that question. I don't think they even know whats going on with this crap. They had no problem filing my checks though. :angry2: Oh and they don't take personal checks, so bring a credit card. I happen to have a business account having to do with my charter business, they took that. And what the hell does Lockheed Martin have to do with all this? I thought they made airoplanes.

Capt. Dan,

What I was told when I got mine that it was my choice on paying the full amount or getting the discounted rate if I paid the full amount it would be good for 5 years if I took the discounted rate it would expire with my capt. license so I paid the 105.25 so it goes with my capt license witch expires in 2011 but they could not tell me if I could renew them at the same place and at the same time:confused: I agree with you that they really don't know whats going on. I"m glad I'm done with all this stuff so its time to start fishing the boat goes in next week.:D

So what does the session involve? Fingerprint? Background check? Polygraph? Putting my hand over my heart and reciting the "Pledge of Allegiance"? What else?

Should I bring my own lube or do they supply it??:D:eek:

You'll need two solid I.D's. They'd like 2 pictured I.D.s, but would not accept my State CCL, my only other pictured I.D.. Drivers license and Passport if you have it, but S.S. card will work. I didn't have my S.S. card on me, but fortuetly had my Birth Certificate. You step into a curtained off area and everything is done/filed by Computer. Simply questions the official asks you and then types in. Theres a scanner of sorts that does your finger prints and takes your picture. Took me over an hour because I let a guy who works on the ships that come into town go ahead of me. He didn't have an appointment and was pissed. The captain told him if he didn't get a TWIC card by the end of the day, he'd be dry docked.:no: I actually thought about asking if leaving any body fluids was going to be necessesary, but changed my mind.

They never even told my Dad and myself about a discount. They took our $135 EACH with no problems. All there fancy equipment and they still couldn't scan the barcode on our brand new Passports, so she had to do it some other way. Very weird...:angry2: PS. Still waiting, 10 weeks now

They never even told my Dad and myself about a discount. They took our $135 EACH with no problems. All there fancy equipment and they still couldn't scan the barcode on our brand new Passports, so she had to do it some other way. Very weird...:angry2: PS. Still waiting, 10 weeks now

Drew.

I'd bring in my CG license or a copy of it and ask to have that money refunded to me when you finally go pick up your TWIC card. Especially since both you and your dad recently got your Captains license. I'm betting the people who did your applications are so new to their job, they simply forgot to ask about your CG license status and apply the discount. You and your dad would truly be in the best position to make use of the discount, being your license won't expire for the full 5 years.;)

Went to Muskegon office on the 21st for my TWIC appointment. I found it quite short and painless.

I still can't say that I agree on the necessity of charters to be required to obtain this though. It is to enable us to enter certain restricted zones? I asked if this would get me to the discharge at the Cook and was told no way. So just what restricted waters and areas am I going to enter that the recreational boater won't be allowed in? :confused:

Went to Muskegon office on the 21st for my TWIC appointment. I found it quite short and painless.

I still can't say that I agree on the necessity of charters to be required to obtain this though. It is to enable us to enter certain restricted zones? I asked if this would get me to the discharge at the Cook and was told no way. So just what restricted waters and areas am I going to enter that the recreational boater won't be allowed in? :confused:

That part is top secret. And if they tell you they have to kill you. In which case would negate your even being in restricted waters. All this is nothing more then paying for the hammer used for killing mosquitos. Burocratic overkill on people who will never need it but can fund it for the rest that might. So your $137.50 will help keep the people who really can be in restricted waters in cold beer. What we in the service used to call a SNAFU. :no:

• 2 weeks later...
Drew.

I'd bring in my CG license or a copy of it and ask to have that money refunded to me when you finally go pick up your TWIC card. Especially since both you and your dad recently got your Captains license. I'm betting the people who did your applications are so new to their job, they simply forgot to ask about your CG license status and apply the discount. You and your dad would truly be in the best position to make use of the discount, being your license won't expire for the full 5 years.;)

This was our 3rd renewal, we got our licenses in 1997 so that was way before 2005 so we probably wouldn't get the discount but I'll be sure to ask.....Thx

Just checked our status on our cards online and its says they are ready for pickup, great another trip back to Toledo, you would think they could have called us after 12 weeks of waiting!