Distress signals

My boat is small, 16' Lund Explorer, I don't have a radio, But do have a cell phone. So I have two questions? One, how good is the signal for a cell phone out on the big Lakes? Second, do you carry flares/smoke? Brand? Ever have to use them? Any other signal devices? ( I know that's more than two questions 4_12_4.gif)

Cell phone reception I have found to be spotty at best. Some ports are ok, but the farther you go sometimes the less the signal. A cell phone would not be the best choice in my opinion for emergencies. Flares are a must on a boat, not sure, but I think it is the law to carry flares. While I have never used a flare out of the boat, I have shot a few off in the field behind my house. Just wanted to make sure how to properly fire it, and make sure it worked. A radio you can buy for a little over $100, and would be a very wise investment.

The flares I have are the 12 ga version that are shot out of a pistol specifically designed to shoot flares.

Flares are required to be out on the great lakes. Also a sound signaling device, I have an airhorn. I would never trust a cell phone out on the water. They don't try to provide service out there so it is not dependable. At the very least you should have a handheld radio. A fix mount radio is better, has a lot more range. I just have a cheap ($100) radio and a 8 ft. fiberglass antennae that I got from West Marine for $55 and I have a 20 mile receiving and transmitting range. I've even been out of Port Sheldon and had Brek (Redeye) hear me when he was out from Duck Lake. That's an easy 25 miles. For $150 I feel a lot safer. I plan on buying a handheld radio this year to keep as a backup in my "overboard" bag. This includes flares, handheld GPS, compass and whistle in a waterproof bag. I will also be wearing a self inflating vest when I am on the boat this year. I love being out on the water but believe in being safe.

Thanx for the info!!

I've been cruising sites for radios and figure $100 or so can get me what I'd need for a radio. Any preference over antenne type, fiberglass vs. metal whip?

I dropped the price bomb on the wifey and i got that look :mad: She questioned why a cell phone wouldn't work. I expalined how signals might not be reliable, :no: then all i heard was BLAH BLAH BLAH, something about money, blah blah blah ......:rolleyes:

i suggest a 5' fiberglass, the typical shakespeare 5' fiberglass has 5dB thats the amount of multiplication to the power output of the radio (eg. 5watt radio output and 5dB antenna equals 25watts total output) and as well the radio and antenna combo to hear the incoming signal. the stainless 3' whip has the dB as the five footer but the tip of the antenna is 2foot higher, the 3foot whip is little smaller and takes up less room, however VHF radio's only work in line of sight, and here is the problem, on your boat. if the mounting location is three feet above the water, and you got a 3foot whip and are in say 6 foot waves (and you in the trough) the radio wont get out far at all, i know you most likely wont go out in seas that big, but what if it sneaks up on you and then get into trouble?? oh and the wife ever goes out and the cell dont work and the radio saves you both, then she will be saying " all i heard was BLAH BLAH BLAH, something about I told you so...Etc...Etc..."

Here's the one I have:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/223411/377%20710%201407/0/Antennas,%20Mounts,%20Cable/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201407&Ne=0&Ntt=Antennas,%20Mounts,%20Cable&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5003&subdeptNum=3&classNum=309

I helped Red Eagle install a Uniden Solara and this antenna on his 16' Lund Fisherman and it was an easy install w/ easy mounting. He used a ratcheting mount on his gunnel. It's set up so the radio and antenna can both be removed easily.

BTW It's a good time to check your flare expiration dates. I have several flares on board that have expired yrs ago. The three 12 ga flares that are still legal expire in July. I need to buy three 12 ga flares. I checked mine a few weeks back, and the flares are on my list. I have a $100 gift card from Frank's Great Outdoors. Flares, Fishing Lic, Outdrive Oil, and whatever else makes it on the list.:)

Good stuff!!

I can relate to the waves sneaking up on one. Been there!! done that!! Once I had to pound through five footers in a fourteen foot with a 9.9 tiller. The dog that was with us was scared pertty bad, nothing to say the least about myself. The life jacket went on that day, we hugged near the shore, fornutealy we were near shore!!

I think I found a new radio and antenna a little over 100. Been doing some onl;ine rearch and a lot of the same names that have been mentioned with in this site keep coming up. Now i just need to get paid this week and i can go buy it!!

Flares are next! If i have to forgoe some other equipment so be it.

Thanx,

Jaymers