Dipsy/ball colors

Phishy

Any one toy with different color dipsies? Snubbers? color and length? If so, for you what seems to be the safest all around starting point? Do you switch colors during the day as conditions change?? I'm looking into setting my boat up and with limited funds this year, I am probably only going to be able to rig up two, maybe four, particualrily since I still need to get a lot of other stuff. (Flashers, line, Balls another reel, etc)

Along that same lines what about ball color and shape i.e. ball vs. fish shaped vs. torpedo vs. whatever else is out there. Any tape on the fins?

I won;t be able to cover all the possibilites this year, but would like to be able to set up with a good soild core of gear.

Thanx,

Jaymers

I have glow, chrome, green, and other colors in my Dipsy selection. I truthfully can't say that color makes much difference in the Dipsys I use. I most always run a flasher 4 ft or so behind the Dipsy, with a glow squid or fly behind it. I have found some buys on strange color unwanted Dipsys that still seem to get it done for me. I have painted some Dipsys in the natural glow color so in that sense I do lean towards the glows.

I run green dipsey's on the port side and clear dipsey's on the starboard side. I don't have a preference I just do it that way to limit any confusion from putting dipsey's out on the wrong side of the boat. Some guys swear by black ones.

From what i recall in my early years, I didn't think it made much of a difference, I'm watching ebay things and seen some good deals slipp past, I can only buy so much at a time and if color dosen't really seem to impede or enhance catching, then it opens the window on ebay.

I'm getting the picture glow is the ticket, i may look into glow rings, couldn't hurt and it might help pull a phish into the spread.

Thanx!!

Jaymers

The red green thing is a good idea.

When I pick up a Dipsy there is never a doubt which side it belongs on. The weight is on the bottom. I have some pouches that I store my Dipsy & Flashers in. If they are set for Starboard they are stored on that side. When you are setting a side, it just makes it handy.:) These pouches are Dollar Store Litter Bags.

Same thing just red and black. I dont know if its just luck but I do get more lake trout with the black divers, I just get what ever is on sale and spray paint them black. The rest are kelly green. The weights are 12 and 15lb shark weights.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I ran the exact same set up behind two different dipsy's one got consistently hit and the other never went off...a plain green #1 dipsy with a siggs rigs green holo combo was on fire I tried that combo on every other size and shape dipsy I had and couldn't get a hit. Same leader length, material, etc....Go figure.

I had the oppertunity to be an observer on a couple of the top pro boats this past season and they all just did green on one site, and a differnt color on the other. None of thoes captians were worried about the color of their dipseys. If thoes guys (couple of the top $$ winners) aren't worried with the Dipsey color I don't think I am anymore...