Is this guy nutz?

Tad Pole

crazy is what crazy does...

I was up nort for a long period of my life, Ashland Wi, for those not familar you may say we were almost Canadian, living on Lake Superior, brutally long winters. to speed up the story i found myself in a little 14 footer on lake Superior in early april, during ice break up. There was still pack ice floating around. We decided to head over to the ice and drift with it and verticle jig. great idea but bad planning, after a few hours of fishing we noticed it looked like an awful lot of ice between us and the landing. so we decided it best to pull and get out, unfornatly we did not think of this notion a tad bit ealier. Picture me sitting on the bow with an oar pushing huge sheets of crushing ice away from the bow while my partner slowly motored through the pack ice..... for hours......In like the all day kinda thing..... we never made it back to the landing, we had to shore at a river mouth about ten miles from our original launch, fornately there was a small landing used by duck hunters. my partner hoofed it to the main highway, two miles and hitch hiked to the truck and trailer. UFF DA!!

like i said... crazy is what crazy does

crazy is what crazy does...

I was up nort for a long period of my life, Ashland Wi, for those not familar you may say we were almost Canadian, living on Lake Superior, brutally long winters. to speed up the story i found myself in a little 14 footer on lake Superior in early april, during ice break up. There was still pack ice floating around. We decided to head over to the ice and drift with it and verticle jig. great idea but bad planning, after a few hours of fishing we noticed it looked like an awful lot of ice between us and the landing. so we decided it best to pull and get out, unfornatly we did not think of this notion a tad bit ealier. Picture me sitting on the bow with an oar pushing huge sheets of crushing ice away from the bow while my partner slowly motored through the pack ice..... for hours......In like the all day kinda thing..... we never made it back to the landing, we had to shore at a river mouth about ten miles from our original launch, fornately there was a small landing used by duck hunters. my partner hoofed it to the main highway, two miles and hitch hiked to the truck and trailer. UFF DA!!

like i said... crazy is what crazy does

Great story! Did you catch any fish?

Dratt! I figured somebody ask!!

I wish I could say we slayed them but, we didn't even have a bite. We were so anxious just to get the boat out on the water. The ice had been bad for over a week, preventing us from fishing. We were starting to go into withdrawls and figured since it was predicted for the day to be fairly warm, we got up early and launched the boat. Although we had to break skim ice near the shore, we could see open water just out a ways. we trolled some but had issues with frozen guides, so the verticle jigging thing came up

i believe this thread has been offically highjacked :rolleyes: