Whats the best thing to do

Ok,

This question the charter captains are probly the best to ask but I am sure there is probly some member's on here can answer this question to.

The question is?

If you are taking out a first time fisherman on any Great Lakes. What is the best medicine to give that fisherman so he will not get sea sick, also it must not get him drowsy or sleepy. Would the lady fishing girl have to take a different medicine?

What time of day should he or she take it to?

I just like to have that first time fisherman to have a great time and not worrie about if he or she will get sick out there.

Caznik :wink1:

I took a friend of mine sons fishing last year. I picked him up at 4:30am and he took a dramamine then. Note....he did not wash it down with anything when he took it. Needless to say....2 hours later when we ventured out in the 3-5' waves and set lines, he proceeded to christen both sides of my boat. :skull:

He did get to reel in one fish in between barf sessions.

Take Dramamine or Bonine before going to bed then take it again in the morning, it affects everyone differently if they get sleepy or not. But do keep them out of the cabin area, but as far as any customers getting sick while fishing doing it this way (none) :) on my boat it work for me.

Heard a charter captain in Key West say to a guy on the other side of the boat "Don't be shy let it fly" . My wife and I took the cheap wal-mart stuff 2 hours before the trip, we were fine. This was the first time I ever paid for a charter and I wasn't taking any chances. Poor guy had a rough 3 more hours.

!Caution! drinking rum and coke on that stuff WILL knock you out :)

I have a regular customer who was ill 15 times his first trip, about 10 his second trip, and never since following these directions.

1. Stay out of the bar the night before...

2. Get a decent nights sleep the night before

3. Eat a moderate breakfast (not too greasy)

4. Start taking Less Drowsy Dramamine two days prior to the trip and continue taking the regular dosage till the trip is over. (taking dramamine just prior to the trip will sometimes actually cause the illness itself)

5. Bring plenty of water, gingerale, ginger snaps for the trip.

6. Avoid the lower cabin if at all possible.

He has taken three trips a year for the past 3 years without issue. Any folks who follow this regimen has been fine also.

I have a veteran fisher-woman aboard my boat quite a bit, and she seems to get sick no matter what. She's tried the medicines, the ginger, and still can't help it. I believe that some sea sickness is in the head. I think that some people get very anxious about the whole experience and just can't control their nerves. JMHO!

Staying out of the cabin and keeping in sight some reference point I think helps too.

I have been sea sick one or two times since owning my boat, wait that may not have been sea sickness, some may call it a hangover.

The good rest and lack of drinking the night b4 is good advice.

I also have another friend who only gets sick now and then, not every time out. I give him a friendly reminder that we can get some liver and onions for dinner that night. Usually sends him to the rail. Funny thing out of all the people I know that do become sick on the boat, they all claim to feel much better after they get it out of their system.

with thousands of hours of flight time (sea and air sickness are the same) i can say this. 1st if you were able to find a cure you would easily make millions and millions. the whole trouble in deep within the inner ear, and with going into a long winded medicial discourse, it effects everyone differently, even the same person, sometimes they puke and othertimes they dont, take the over counter sea sickness meds, look at the horizon,get into some cool fresh air, and unlike most i say get into the place on the boat with the least amount of motion, the cabin is a good place HOWEVER make sure they keep their head up and in plenty of fresh cool moving air....and as always keep the bucket close!!!