Welcome to the site Anton. Whats the salmon fishing like there? Whats the biggest salmon you have caught so far? Do you have a boat? Any pictures? Do you fish for salmon when they run upriver to spawn? How big do they get there?

As you have already discovered. This forum is loaded with GREAT information! If you need anything, let out a shout.

Mike

>Whats the salmon fishing like there?

Salmon fishing is very different here. Fly-fishing, spinning, trolling.

>Whats the biggest salmon you have caught so far?

about 8lb. But im beginner. At nearest lakes we have only walleye & pike, no salmon.

>Do you have a boat? Any pictures?

Yes, but its extremely small for trolling purposes . I have inflatable boat. Boats here are bloody expensive. Im in progress :)

1.JPG

>Do you fish for salmon when they run upriver to spawn?

No, because its imposible to buy license. :( only trolling in the lake. Its possble to fish they at the river only on Kola Peninsula (below some of my photos of latest Kola Peninsula trip)

>How big do they get there?

the biggest about 20-30lb maybe more...

some photos of Kola Peninsula 2007

Our camp. Kitchen near Barents Sea (Arctic Ocean) in the left corner and tent in the right. Light extreme, but everything is fine. Most time we are on the river. Arctic day. Sun bright 24 hours :) some times rain, some times snow :) he he he.

CRW_6032.jpg

low-tide. sequential camp picture. (2 shots from one place) water go down on 6 meters.

CRW_6031.jpg

Here the river near camp.

CRW_5992.jpg

CRW_5994.jpg

Its me with salmon.

CRW_6003.jpg

fresh caviar

CRW_6037.jpg

King crab

IMG_6038.jpg

PS: I have plenty of questions about spoons, flashers & files, becasue I need to buy all this. I want complitely refreh my arsenal. so I need to know what I definitely need :)

fresh caviar

CRW_6037.jpg

Ummmm.....This is where we have a cultural difference. I have never had caviar. When I catch a hen filled with spawn, usually the spawn is saved for use as a spawn sack, NEVER EATEN.

King crab

IMG_6038.jpg

OK....what times dinner? :P

PS: I have plenty of questions about spoons, flashers & files, becasue I need to buy all this. I want complitely refreh my arsenal. so I need to know what I definitely need :)

Get those questions asked. Fishing season is around 3 months away here.

Sorry Anton,

I must of miss read your thread because I thought you said that you use to live at Russia...:pardon:

Well anyways, very nice pictures there. Can you give your recipes on how you fix those salmon eggs, I like to try it with some beer. :D

No really if you would

Caznik

OK, recipe that I know.

You have caviar in the sack. (that is on the photo) First of all you need separate it from this sack. You should boil water it should be HOT about 60C (maybe little less), put the caviar in the wather and twist sack on the fork, remove it. Then remove all white pieces by wood spoon. They should stick to the wood. Some of my friends use hand for this operation. Then wait few min and put out caviar from the salt water.

Water should be salt heavily. This procedure should be done quickly around 5 min on all operations.

The caviar is ready :)

First try to do this recipe with little ammount of caviar, becasue you need to find your salt optimum. (time how lond caviar should be in water)

I don't know how keep salt caviar for long-period. Its possible to frozen it, after unfreeze its nearly like fresh.

PS: Don't forget that albumen crashed (I don't know right word, what's happened with it.) if temperature will be hotter that 60-65C.

Seafood is my favorite. I have always wonderd if it is safe to eat the salmon eggs right out of the fish, or is there some way to prepair the eggs? I eat them at the sushi bar occasinaly and have collected them for bait out of caught fish.:ps-003::taunt::ps-003:

its unsafe. Same as eating fresh salty fish (sushi) without temperature processing.