lead core compare with sinkers

I can't understand difference between using lead core and trolling (rubber) sinkers. Just want to know benefits/disadvantage of both.

I use sinkers, but I see lots of people use lead core... Right now, I use inline panner bords, with mono line.

thanks

The sinkers will work. The spoon will run more like a drop weight or a rigger.

The lead adds a bit of action to the spoon as it rises and falls with the waves and turns.

The lead tends to be a bit more stealthy.

Have you had luck with the rubber sinkers? and how far down can you get them?

A full core will get you down around the 40' range.

Ken.

Mono and sinkers work extremely well when fishing offshore for surface fish down to 10-12 feet. Lead core gets your lure away from the boat and down from 10-70 feet. There is no way to use enough sinkers to get a spoon down 40 feet and still have the correct motion on the spoon or whatever the bait may be, other than lead drops. That is why the lead core comes in handy. It gets your lure away from the boat and down and the lure still moves correctly and lead core rods are fish catching machines because of it.

Thanks for answers.

I have no idea on what depth my spoons was. (as I understood its impossible to know this depth) I just use 1/2, 1, 1 1/2oz sinkers with 20# line. My speed around 1.5-2.5mph.

I worry that my spoons will be far far away from boat and I can't use inline planner boards (tx-24). I use 3-4 from each side.

It will be right way if I change all my mono on lead core and just play with lead core length ?

I found good article about lead core and understand how I should connect it.

one more question.

As I understand I should split lead core on pieces and then connect it. If I want change depth I should connect another piece of lead core ?

how do you keep these different pieces ?

i found a great tool....covers it all well worh the $25 i paid, "BIG WATER EDITION PRECISION TROLLING" according to the data......4oz weight, 30lbs mono, 2.0 mph & 210 feet of line out at point of connection will acheive a depth of 28 feet!!! just one of some 50 plus pages of data.....best $25 i spent on fishing stuff!!!

There are many post on lead core.

Keep going back through the pages and you should be able to answer many questions you have.

This is one I found.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451

If you want a great read on salmon fishing this a fantastic book.

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/Keating_on_Kings_Book.htm

one more question.

As I understand I should split lead core on pieces and then connect it. If I want change depth I should connect another piece of lead core ?

how do you keep these different pieces ?

Instead of doing this, I would purchase a full core, and put 5 colors of core on two rods. I would also pick up some 4oz Dive Bombs. With a 4oz Dive Bomb and 5 colors of core, it is the same as a full core.

MiStinger came out with the Dive Bomb last year. This is an add on plaining weight. A 4oz dive bomb on mono will get you around 30' down.

Some of the other things you need to know about lead core.

• One color of lead core will get your bait 4-5' down.
  • A half core is 5 colors - this will get your bait down 20-25'
  • A full core is 10 colors - this will get your bait down 40-50'

On top of the 3 riggers, and 2 divers, I run 3 inline planer boards off each side of my boat. I run a full core, half core, and a 2 or 3 color core off each side. Always keep your deepest(The one with the most core) closest to the boat and work out. I also run a 2 color with a 4oz Dive Bomb, right down the shoot for a 12 rod spread.

When setting lines, you can run the half core and 2 or 3 color straight out the back, hook on the board, let the board out behind the full core, and work it to the outside.

With my spread, I am covering the 40-50' deep, 20-25' deep, and 8-15' deep. I will also add Dive Bombs to my cores, to get them in the 70-80' depth. I have found through trial and error, that you should only run a dive bomb on your inside boards.

How do you end up with different size cores? I have started out with several full cores. After a few tangles, the end up shorter :D

hm... what inline planners do you use ? I think my planners (tx-24 aka walleye board) go down if I put 4oz on my mono :) he he he

How far from spoon do you put sinker (dive bomb) ?

What line & dipsey size do you use ?

Do you have any problems with dipsey roads that sail in the wake ? Very often big fish tangles them. :( so I prefer user only riggers + inline planners.

hm... what inline planners do you use ? I think my planners (tx-24 aka walleye board) go down if I put 4oz on my mono :) he he he

I run Church walleye boards.

How far from spoon do you put sinker (dive bomb) ?

If I was going to put them on mono, I would put them 20-20' above the bait.

I usually use them with my lead core, and put them on the lead core. I put it on the first color that goes in the water. I start the season off with 60-80 foot of leader. When it gets down to around 20' I put on a new leader.

The Dive Bomb is a planeing weight. So....the more line you have out, the deeper it will go.

What line & dipsey size do you use ?

Do you have any problems with dipsey roads that sail in the wake ? Very often big fish tangles them. :( so I prefer user only riggers + inline planners.

I am using 30lb 7 strand wire on my dipsey's rods. I use #1 Dipsey Divers, and usually run them on a #3 setting. I have a 12" snubber and a leader to the flasher/fly or spoon. The snubber takes the shock out of the release of the diver.

This is my son reeling in a fish.

Hunter_957625.jpg

Behind him, I have a rod in the down rigger rod holder. To the left of that is a 10 1/2' wire diver rod. To the left of that is the a full core, a half core, and a 2 color. You can not see the half core, or 2 color. All of my core rods are in Big Jon triple pedestal rod holders.

Do you see the blue tape above the handle on the rod my son is reeling in? I mark my different core rods with different color tape. That is how I know which one is which. ;) The rod he has is a half core rod. I have the inline planer board removed already. You can see it behind him.

Those Walleye boards will pull your setup. I'm pretty sure that's what Mike uses. I use either 30# wire or 30# Ripcord(Braid) on my dipseys. By sailing in the wake do you mean tripping and coming to the surface? If the dipsey is set right it should dive down and to the side. They work better if you point them either parallel or pointing at the water. Adjustable rod holders are a must with dipseys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the cabelas brand of lead core. Last year was the first time I ran lead core and had no problems. I think every time I had a core rod in the water we had a hit on it. I ran full core rods and half core rods. This year I think might change the full cores to seven color or something like that and use what I take of to make up a couple 2 or 3 color rods.

You can't have too many lead core variations! But a couple half cores, full cores, and 2.5 colors will get er done for you.

If you are sinkin a walleye board with 4 oz. of weight something is wrong. I have run 1/2 lb. balls behind them. (Just don't stop or turn too sharp)

I even know a capt. who runs 1/2 lb balls infront of full cores to acheive even more depth. It works for him, but I call it a tangle waiting to happen!