humminbird side imaging

We are Pro Staff for Cannon and Humminbird. Putting that aside, there was a lot of anticipation last winter when they announced the new side imaging units. Last year we had the 997c SI Combo. We didn't know what to expect. The unit ended up being fantastic. The side imaging was hard to figure out over deep water, but worked great in shallower water like you assumed. It showed clouds of bait to each side of the boat and every rock. We even located clouds of bait offshore with it. It takes alittle while to get used to, but is extremely cool and useful. We also used one of the smaller units on Hardy Pond and for bluegill fishing last summer, and that is when the unit thrived. The unit would be fantastic for steelhead river fishing to easily determine if there are logs, trees, fish in specific holes, etc. It would save a lot of time fishing holes that aren't holding any fish. I am no expert at reading it yet, but if you have anymore questions give Vince a call at Captain Gary's. Good Luck!

It showed clouds of bait to each side of the boat and every rock. We even located clouds of bait offshore with it.

I could see where this could be a very useful tool, if it viewed far enough to the sides. What would you say was the max distance it showed the baitfish off the sides of the boat?

Chip used it the most as I am never near the wheel very often. I don't remember the exact distance we used on both sides. But, it was far enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe 200-300 feet? I don't remember right off hand right now. But, when we made it 50-100 feet or so you could see a lot of details.

Shallow is sandbars on beach and pierheads to 50-60 feet. It worked extremely well in the mud and channel when the salmon run was on in Grand Haven. You could definitely tell where the most salmon where stacked up too. We also used it right when we got it down in St. Joe for browns. You could see the ripples in the sandbars and the browns to the sides in 8-12 feet of water. We also ran into an unmarked shipwreck on Sunday during the South Haven tournament and it definitely marked that with a cool picture once we figured out what it was. Overall, the deeper the water got, the less uses we found for it and the harder it was to read. But, we definitely didn't put a lot of time into trying to figure it out either because of our other fish finders. I am sure it would work if you figured out all the features, etc. It did work well offshore to locate suspended schools of bait as well as in near shore.

• 4 weeks later...
does anyone have any experience with these. I'd like to hear what you think of them before I spend all that $$$:o I can see how it would be useful for bass walleye and others how about for trolling can it keep up?

I picked one up a few years back. a 981SI. I use it on both boats. I run it on the river picking up the structure on the banks by just cruising the middle of the river.

As for the SI function in the lake, it works well in shallow water as mentioned above and in deeper water you can trust the shadows to about 30ft depth. The SI picture is real time so thats a plus. It trolls nicely as the SI is good to about 11mph. I don't care for the dual function units they changed over to though. I would rather keep my electronics seperate, although if your pressed for room thats always helpful. All in all, it's a lot of money and unless you really need the SI function I'd say it's a bit more than what the average fisherman would want to spend.

The graph functions are great. Colors good and the ability to dim the screen helpful with different colors, green, blue and brown backgrounds available. The gain control will pickup therms nicely and it's very consistant with it's readings. On a scale of one to ten in ease of use I give it a 10 although it's ducer is finiky as far as installation positioning. It needs a clear shot both left and right for the SI function.