Huge Spec!

EdB

Took my daughter out ice fishing this am. I was proud she made the wake up call in the dark to get ready. Had time for some bacon and pancakes and off we went onto the lake. Olivia caught a 13 inch bass to start our day on a tip up. Then another tip up went off and she caught an 18 inch bass. That gave her a good fight and we let them both go. Back inside our shanty, we're catching some small gills and having fun. I have a big shanty hole and it's like an aquarium. Olivia spots a big fish under the ice that I couldn't see till she pointed it out. I thought it was another bass coming in due to it's size. I told her to jig her waxworm and the fish came right in and hit it. She jerked and the fight was on. Ultra light pole and a spinning reel. The fish was taking drag and shot up under the ice. The pole went limp and I thought she had lost it. She was dejected as we both thought it was off. Then the fish almost pulled the rod out of her hand and the fight was back on. She got him to the surface spashing around as I tried to grab him and not blow it. I slowly palmed him onto the floor of the shanty and wow, it's the biggest spec or crappie I've ever seen! 16 inches and a tad under 2 -1/2 lbs. A master angler indeed!

OliviaSpec1.jpg

She didn't like the skimmer and wanted to hold her fish.

OliviaSpec2.jpg