Ugly Stick Leadcore rods question

I was just in Cabelas(Hoffman Estates)and they had Ugly Stick Leadcore rods for $30. These had the roller tips w/ regular guides. Are these better than running a regular rod? Can you run a partial core witout damaging the line? Any thoughts :confused: Thanks.

Bob

I haven't seen the rods that you are talking about. That said, I have added roller tips to lead core rods on my boat. I do like it, but it is not neccesary. It is a little smoother on the retrieve. I suppose in theory the wear would be reduced, but I can't say that has ever been an issue. I like ugly stick rods though and $30 with roller tips sounds pretty good depending on the action. The roller tips alone are $10 at the low end.

I will add this about copper. I know a lot of guys fishing copper on non-roller rods. I still prefer roller rods. I do think that copper wears. I have seen copper flecks on the rod when it rubs against stainless.

Daniel

I was just in Cabelas(Hoffman Estates)and they had Ugly Stick Leadcore rods for $30. These had the roller tips w/ regular guides. Are these better than running a regular rod? Can you run a partial core without damaging the line? Any thoughts :confused: Thanks.

Bob

The best way (IMO) to run lead is off a planer board. It's not good to hook the planer to the core. Hence the need for the roller is not there.

Lead can be ran straight down the shoot, and yes you may get away with not letting it all out. The trouble with running it down the shoot is it has a tendency to tangle with fish that come off the riggers.

Some guys that want to cut down on there core rigs will take and splice mono in the middle of there core (thus giving them a place to hook there board to).

This would give you a 1/2 and a full core.

Good luck, it sounds like a nice rod.

While that segmented scenario works in theory, actual practice might prove otherwise.

I have tried the "in between splices" on leadcore and the problem is the drag realized between due to the weight of the heavy leadcore between the rod and the board.

So far as rollers for lead core, I have used both rollers and conventional setups, and either one seems to do the job just fine. This is on many charter trips and many fish fought.

Either setup should do just fine way for recreational use.

Hope this helps!