cannon speed n temp, sub-troll, fishhawk etc.

I have decided this is the next purchase for my boat. I run where there is a lot of current and mixed wave patterns so I think it would be a wise investment. I reread the previous discussions about these but I have more questions. I get the feeling the Fishhawk is the go to speed n temp but I think I would rather go with the cannon. The cannon is not only cheaper by at least $100 but it also has depth. Some of my questions are is the depth accurate? I know the cannon hooks to the downrigger cable, how effective and maintenance free is this connection. Can you use normal downrigger cable? I have heard that some people with the fishhawk have had a difficult time finding the signal deeper than sixty feet due to blowback moving the probe out of the signal cone. Does anyone have any experience with this? I guess I'm also interested in hearing more about the sub troll and depth raider. These seem less expensive. Do these products follow the get what you pay for addage? Also is there an advantage to the fish hawk 920 over the 840? I appreciate any additional input. Hope everyone had a happy holiday.

I also am adding a speed and temp this winter and decided to go w/ the Depth Raider. Everyone I have talked to that has one loves it. They are easy to use and reliable. No problems w/ loss of signal at deeper depths. My second choice is the Sub-Troll. Pretty much the same set-up but it has an analog speed display and digital temp display. The Depth Raider is easier to read IMO. The charter captain that we have used in the past recommends the Sub-Troll. They are much more reliable than the Fishhawk that he used to use. I know a few people that have the Cannon's and love them. Also know a few that have them that don't. Everyone I know that has a Depth Raider or Sub-Troll loves them. My $.02.

When you get a Depth Raider it comes with a replacement coated cable. So you change your down rigger cable. It comes with terminal connections. I put one on my boat last summer and it works good. The only think I can say is to use a proper crimp tool to make the terminal connections or they will not hold. I don't have experience with the other products. I was just reading the discussions about these last summer. I also liked the small size of the display to fit on my dash.

Salmonquest....ive done my homework...from what ive learned stay away from the fish hawk for several reasons the biggest is that with the blowback that ALL rigger cables have unless your using a 50lbs in 50ft of water, the more blowback the less signal you will get...i do not know anything about the cannon your best bet is the sub-troll or depth raider. they use the same system of getting the electrical signal thru the coated cable (included) the subtroll/depthraider are almost exctly the same unit the depth raider has a digtial display and the subtroll anaolg display....

I also have been thinking of getting a temp probe. It seams a lot of people are happy with the Depth Raider.

They also seam to be the cheapest priced.

Here's a few pics I copied from another site that show the connection for the probe.

http://www.glangler.com/boards/User_files/4622e7ee15f13012.jpg

http://www.glangler.com/boards/User_files/4622e7fe16104e5a.jpg

Yup, I've been using that connection for 2 seasons now, works slicker than snot on a doorknob.

After putting up with the Fish Hawk jumping all over the place and eating probe batteries for 8 years, I can't express strongly enough what a pleasure using the Depth Raider is in comparison.

Tim

ps, I've been on a number of boats with the Moor subtroll as well and that is equally as nice a unit. It all comes down to preference on an analog or digital display. you really can't go wrong with either of them.

Of the two I think I prefer the depth raider over the sub-troll. It seems like the digital readout should lead to a more precise speed. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing though. :) I would say though that the Cannon seems to be the most appealing to me because of the added depth guage and connecting it to the standard cable. It worries me though that they don't seem to be very popular. It would seem that the sub troll and depth raider are very popular

I would say though that the Cannon seems to be the most appealing to me because of the added depth guage and connecting it to the standard cable. It worries me though that they don't seem to be very popular.

Any Cannon I have seen is not on a regular cable. You get the coated cable when you buy the unit and the probe sends the info up the rigger cable to the head unit. You will need to change the cable on 1 of your riggers to use the Cannon just like the Depth Raider or Sub Troll. Fish Hawk is the only one that I know of that can be hooked right on a regular rigger cable so it is handy because you can change the probe to any rigger you want but as stated the blow back will screw up the signal.

Of the two I think I prefer the depth raider over the sub-troll. It seems like the digital readout should lead to a more precise speed. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing though. :)

The Sub-Troll is just as accurate, the analog dial is broken into very small increments and is easy to read, just not digital. Both are very good products.

I was told at D & R Sports that Fish Hawk was bought out. I was also told they are redesigning the probe. I am not sure if they will do the control box or not.

It would be good to see them do the control box, too. Those things are huge in comparison to the other products out there. I can't help but to believe those big, metal boxes are part of the reason they are more expensive, too.

I 'think' I read in the other thread on this same lure speed/temp topic that the Cannon and Fishhawk units are capable of running two probes. Is that the case? What about Moor and Depth Raider products?

I, too, will be adding a lure/speed depth indicator to my boat this off season and have been investigating.

I've had a depth raider for a few years now and have nothing but good to say about them. When I broke the power connection due to abuse on my part in mid August, I shipped it to them for repair on Monday and had it back Thursday. That kind of service in the peak season really made me a loyal customer.

• 4 weeks later...
I was told at D & R Sports that Fish Hawk was bought out. I was also told they are redesigning the probe. I am not sure if they will do the control box or not.

You're right on, Fish Hawk has been bought out by Nature Vision,,,they also own Aqua View cameras. I have contacted them recently about a repair issue that I need for my Fish Hawk. They told me that they are about to introduce a brand new probe,that will be much smaller than the original,and will have a depth capability of 300'

Bad news is they are not sure if this new technology can be retrofitted into the older probes!! Sounds like a marketing strategy to me!!!

T290.....aka Frank

I love the Canon SNT. I do get a little more blowback with it over the fish hawk that I used to run. The SNT will give you true depth so blowback is no issue. The best feature IMO on the SNT is the light % at depth. We have logged what colors work best at differnt light % . You could have high sun on a clear day but at 60' down the % of light could be 35% or 0% depending on the water clearity of any given day.

The SNT is one pc of equiptment I wouldn't be without

Just one guys opinion,

Brian

I just went through my photo album to find a picture of how I have mine set up but couldn't find it.

I use the 210# coated cable, I slid a crimp on wire connector ( the type that you use to make connections to a battery ) and crimped it on about 3' above the end of the cable. Then used a canon terminator for the ball connection. About 6" below the wire connector is where I stripped away about an inch of the coating on the rigger cable for the SNT connection. Clip the safety cable on the SNT into the eye of the crimped wire connector, attach SNT to the bare cable and good to go.

I have been down over 200' with the SNT and got consistant readings.

I will try to find a picture of the connection I use.

Easier than trying to explain it.

You are going to like the SNT

Brian