Keating on Kings

Nailer

I'm just about finished with Captain Dan Keatings book. (Keating on Kings)

Great read by the way.

What I find interesting is how he uses 12 pound mono with 6.5' rods off his riggers. Do any of you use this setup? If so than what would be a good affordable rod in that 6.5'-7' range?

I like the way he talks about fishing over small break in the bottom.

Next year I'll have to pay more attention to them.

If any one is looking for a great teaching book on rigging for Kings this is it.

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/Keating_on_Kings_Book.htm

Thanks,

Ken.

I went to his seminar last year. He uses a Bass Pro Shop special $20 rod. Of course he uses Penn International reels. I think they're like $300-$400 each. His advice was get a good reel, go cheap on rods. The seminar was great by the way.

ive read it also sure the 12 mono will give your spoon more action more stealth its cheaper get more onto your reel...the pro's the con's....having a monster king snap your line like a dry twig, losing the fish and a $4-$7 spoon NO good......i use a 15lbs ande mono and its worked for me!! just my $00.02 worth

I bought 2 storm rods last summer for walleye. They are about 6' tall or so, the action is medium and they were awesome to fight some kings on. I paid 13.95 a piece, and they came with a free lure. Purchased at northwoods. I like them so much I am planning on picking up a few more.

I bought 2 storm rods last summer for walleye. They are about 6' tall or so, the action is medium and they were awesome to fight some kings on. I paid 13.95 a piece, and they came with a free lure. Purchased at northwoods. I like them so much I am planning on picking up a few more.

I have some of the same rods in the 8 ft version. A free Storm Lure and a 10 yr warranty for $14.

ive read it also sure the 12 mono will give your spoon more action more stealth its cheaper get more onto your reel...the pro's the con's....having a monster king snap your line like a dry twig, losing the fish and a $4-$7 spoon NO good......i use a 15lbs ande mono and its worked for me!! just my $00.02 worth

That's where the reel comes into place. A reel with a very good drag can make a huge difference. Keating claims that he loses a lot less fish because they are tired when they get to the boat. I don't have $300 to drop on a reel but I tried it last year w/ a Daiwa Sealine and had no problem w/ fish breaking off. Plus, it's a lot of fun fighting fish on line that light. I am running 15# on my regular spoon rods, 20# on my flasher rods, and have 1 set up w/ 12# to use during the day when the bite dies.

That's where the reel comes into place. A reel with a very good drag can make a huge difference. Keating claims that he loses a lot less fish because they are tired when they get to the boat. I don't have $300 to drop on a reel but I tried it last year w/ a Daiwa Sealine and had no problem w/ fish breaking off. Plus, it's a lot of fun fighting fish on line that light. I am running 15# on my regular spoon rods, 20# on my flasher rods, and have 1 set up w/ 12# to use during the day when the bite dies.

That's kind of what I was thinking, setting one (or two) up for stealth mode during mid day.

I have been running 20 pound Andy on all 4 riggers. I think I'll drop two of them down to 15 pound for am, pm, keep 2 at 20 pound for spinners and get 2 more for stealth. Heck I need a reason to buy 2 more rods;)

The Kings were smaller on average last season. I may use a few of my Walleye set ups as stealth rods. I usually spool my 20 size walleye reels with 10#. I could even spool a few of my Walleye rigs with 12. Before I had two different set ups I would spice 100 yds of 10# to my 17# line, on my Salmon reels, to double as walleye rigs. Maybe splicing some 12# to your heavier backer will "GIT ER DONE" Something to think about.

• 2 months later...