Well Fella's,

It is almost that time of year. Time to break out the shantys and try your luck on the hard water. Just curious how many of you are ice anglers? Furthermore how many of you spend your time on the Saginaw bay? If things go right I think I will take my first trip this Sunday and try my hand on the ice for some perch or walleye.

I too have fished Higgins years ago. We never had the best luck, always talk about pulling trout through the ice which made Higgins very appealing. Think we caught perch good there a few times but that's about it. As far as guiding, I don't know if that would be the exact word. Would be up for picking a day and time to meet up and go for some fish, that would be fun. Depending on how it freezes this year, I would like to try a little further North on the bay in deeper water. Caught a lot at the mouth of the river last winter, but for all of my efforts and the shear number that we caught didn't bring many home for the frying pan due to lack of size. It will be a long winter and I would bet we could throw something together for ice fishing on the bay.

Made it out on the ice today on the Saginaw Bay out of Palmer rd. Found a couple of inches of ice, enough to hold my skinny rear. Handful of others out, they brought shantys, I did not as I thought the ice wouldn't even be there. No strikes, not hits, no errors. Wind was gusting pretty good. May hit it again this weekend if the wind doesn't blow the ice that is there out. Spudded my whole way out, just to be safe. Good luck, don't forget your spuds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: Ice Fishing :eek:

Here is my perspective

This is 1 aspect of fishing I have never really understood.

1/ Load truck with fishing gear, food, snowmobile and beer.

2/ Stop for more beer.

3/ Drive, walk, sled to middle of lake.

4/ Enter Shanty[if you are lucky enuff to have 1].

5/ Start heater, auger hole(s), drink beer.

* I really could never understand wanting to drill a hole in the ice. My mind says this is a bad idea.

But for those of you who enjoy ice fishing. Good Luck

i also ice fish 3 to 4 days a week but all on the inland lakes in allegan , van berren and barry co., mostly for gills ,crappies and pike,

but have always been interested in fishing the

bay, but dont now where to start becouse i dont have a quad or sled and ive alway read that the fishing is done 2 to 6 miles off shore

terry

Made it out on the ice today on the Saginaw Bay out of Palmer rd. Found a couple of inches of ice, enough to hold my skinny rear. Handful of others out, they brought shantys, I did not as I thought the ice wouldn't even be there. No strikes, not hits, no errors. Wind was gusting pretty good. May hit it again this weekend if the wind doesn't blow the ice that is there out. Spudded my whole way out, just to be safe. Good luck, don't forget your spuds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont think you'll have a problem with the ice blowing out, it takes quite a bit of wind to blow out shore ice.....

Mike you need to go one time when the action is non stop. It can be some of the most fun fishing you've done. It is just like anything else, you will only get out of it what you put into it. It is a good retreat for me when cabin fever is setting in. Great chance to get outdoors and do something that you love. Sometimes it is a lot of work, but when you get things firing on all cylinders it can be a riot. I don't get down with very many beers when I fish, like to be thinking straight out there just in case something ever happens. I probably caught upwards of 200 walleye last winter, some days you couldn't put your lure down for 2 minutes without a bite, like I said when you put the work in sometimes it really pays off.

:eek: Ice Fishing :eek:

Here is my perspective

This is 1 aspect of fishing I have never really understood.

1/ Load truck with fishing gear, food, snowmobile and beer.

2/ Stop for more beer.

3/ Drive, walk, sled to middle of lake.

4/ Enter Shanty[if you are lucky enuff to have 1].

5/ Start heater, auger hole(s), drink beer.

* I really could never understand wanting to drill a hole in the ice. My mind says this is a bad idea.

But for those of you who enjoy ice fishing. Good Luck

Drinking beer with a buddy is always more fun than drinking it on the couch with your wife rambling on about something that makes no since at all!

Also you don't have to get up to open the frig.:beerchug::beerchug: