Leadcore Versatility

The discs would put more drag on the PBs, maybe the L.J. Jet Divers would be the ticket. I'm interested in this also. I wouldn't mind having 4 two or 3 color setups that could be used as is or run deeper with some kind of diving device. I'm sure someone here has tried other things besides lead to get the cores deeper.:)

Mike (GLF) referanced a diving device that he uses on his core rods. I don't remember the name of it. I have been looking for them and not found them yet either. This diver just clips onto your line. When you reel it in you remove it like you would a walleye board then play the fish in with out the added drag of a dipsy.

Come to think of it the clip on devices would be the only way to go. Discs or other in-line devices would make it impossible to reel in the fish.:) I know some that have used snap weights after letting out all the core.:) I think they were supposed to come up with a dive curve for the Dive Bomb, so you had a vague idea of where your lures were running. Anyone see any information or a dive curve for the Dive Bomb??

I think it would work just fine. Most leadcore setups have around 50' of mono for a leader, then the leadcore, then the backing. So in turn you would be able to set the dipsy/jet diver/mini disc and utilize it the same way you would on a normal line. My brother in law and I have been talking about trying this secret recipe all summer, but never did. How far to the side of the boat could that take it. Just think, Planer board and a dipsy set on #3, holy smokes that would be a ways from the boat.

I think it would work just fine. Most leadcore setups have around 50' of mono for a leader, then the leadcore, then the backing. So in turn you would be able to set the dipsy/jet diver/mini disc and utilize it the same way you would on a normal line. My brother in law and I have been talking about trying this secret recipe all summer, but never did. How far to the side of the boat could that take it. Just think, Planer board and a dipsy set on #3, holy smokes that would be a ways from the boat.

A lot of the reason for using leadcore is what the core imparts on the lure. If you rigged a diver on the down side of the core or leader it would negate this. If you were to rig up this way I don't see any advantage say to running just a wire diver set on 3 or 3-1/2.:)

Mike (GLF) referanced a diving device that he uses on his core rods. I don't remember the name of it. I have been looking for them and not found them yet either. This diver just clips onto your line. When you reel it in you remove it like you would a walleye board then play the fish in with out the added drag of a dipsy.

The device is called a Dive Bomb and they are made by Michigan Stinger. They work GREAT! They have a planing surface that helps get extra depth.

divebomb.jpg

Our advertiser Aurora Lites Tackle has them. Here is the link to them on their site. I ran them a lot this year, and mostly use the 3oz or the 4 oz Dive Bomb.

The 4oz Dive Bomb will get you an extra 20-30' of depth. The exact depth is not known. When I first stated using them with a full core, I was putting the Dive Bomb in the middle of the core. After using expierementing with them, I feel I get a little more depth out of it, the further from the rod I have it. Now, I put it close to the end of the 1st core, close to the mono leader. Think of it like a dipsey diver. The more line you have out, the more depth you get.

With a full core and a 4oz Dive Bomb I was getting fish from the 70' - 80' range.

The longest core rod in my boat is a full core. Thanks to the Dive Bomb, I am able to achieve the depths of 15 + color cores.

If you put a Dipsey on a leadcore I would think that you would get LESS depth than a wire dipsey. The leadcore has a lot more resistance than wire going through the water. And you would lose any advantage that you would gain with the weight of the leadcore by putting it down by the leader. You're diver would only go to a certain depth and then the core would hang lower in the water behind it. I'm surprised that Mike got his lines deeper by putting the Dive Bomb at the leader end of the core. When I have used snap weights I put it up at the backing. Of course, part of that's due to not wanting to clip it on the core. I plan on trying the Dive Bombs next year and seeing what happens. Seems like a great idea to me because I refuse to run a core and a half or double core. Well, I might run it but would never reel it in!:grin:

Dive bombs and snap weights have worked well for me. I also only keep full cores as my longest core rods and the snap weights and dive bombs are great.

I still use both methods of getting cores deeper, but if I were pressed to choose just one, the dive bombs are easy and convenient. I really hope some depth charts are coming for them!