Dreamin'

Made the mistake of not fishing the river this year so now having 2 months off has me itchin to get the boat out and troll. I found myself sitting here trying to put out a spread of 9 rods. Here's what I came up with. Setting is mid-August early morning and partly cloudy.

1-full core pulling a Super Slim Bloody Death Spoon

1-half core with a Steelie Stomper

4-Downriggers 1. Meat rig (Black Mamba with a red 3 fly rig)

2. 11" prochip with Oceana fly

3. Moonshine Blue Flounder early then a Super Slim Lemon Ice

after sun up

4. Moonshine Double Trouble early then a Weird spoon of

sort after sun up.

2-Braided Dipsies One with a Blue glow Spinnie and a Blue Dolphin fly and the

other with a White/Pearl Spinnie with a Pickled Sunshine fly

1- Copper rig with a Mag Fuzzy Bear Modified Blue Dolphin

Okay, Beat me up...what would you have done different...besides actually catch fish....

I like the 3 riggers, 3 core, and 3 dipsies. Then I will adjust my spread to what seems to be working best. I like to put out some orange, double orange crush, up high looking for some steel, have been pleasantly surprised with a king on the end of an orange spoon. Let us not forget the blue dolphin, green dolphin or the blue/green dolphin. Super early, super glow from fishlander and/or moonshine. Flounder pounder, ultra glow green froggy and something with a bloody nose. Then put out meat, some flies and like mentioned above adjust to what seems to be hot. I like to work a lot as far as changing up when things slow down. I too like to run something real deep, close to the bottom, who knows that's where I have got some pretty good hits.

Depending on the water temperature, a typical 9 rod tournament spread would look like this for us.

For example, in May in South Haven, we would run the following:

1 Downrigger

2 Wire Divers

6 Lead Core and Copper Rigs; lengths depended upon the water temperature

For example, in August in Grand Haven, we would run the following:

3 Downriggers

2 Wire Divers

4 Lead Core and Copper Rigs; lenghts depended upon the water temperature

These spreads change from day to day as we will run a 9 rod Lead Core and Copper Rig spread in a tournament, if necessary, and so on with the other techniques.

Lures change from day to day with weather and water conditions. This is based on cloud cover, sun, rain, currents, etc. Typically more spoons in May and more Flashers/Flies in August.

Actually for me spoons out perform J-plugs that is unless I am further north(Frankfort) where last fall I had a trip where I ran a 6 rod spread that had only one flasher and 5 plugs. I fish predominately out of Holland most of the summer and for some reason I cannot get a plug program to work for me there. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

Actually for me spoons out perform J-plugs that is unless I am further north(Frankfort) where last fall I had a trip where I ran a 6 rod spread that had only one flasher and 5 plugs. I fish predominately out of Holland most of the summer and for some reason I cannot get a plug program to work for me there. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

I'm not sure if that would be a North South thing or not.:) My last trip to Manistee, and the first morning out, I was trying to run a 6 rod spread. I set 2 Dipsy flasher squid combos, and then set an inside rigger with a #5 Glow Ghost J, 15 back 60 down. Before I could get 5 rods set, that Glow Ghost J took 4 fish. We also took 2 on the Dipsys 150 back on 3.

It seems if the fish are hitting Mag Spoons, they will also go for the plugs. Generally (but not always), the early and later bite is on the standard size spoons. I think what happens is, you have to match the bait fish they are feeding on. I have also taken fish on J Plugs long-lined.

I like the setup, particularly the moonshine blue flounder and dipsey selections.

I think everybody has those two or three first tries that always make it in the water first thing. In August, I'm always hitting the white/pearl pro-chip flasher and either a white fly or blue/white meat rig. Add to that a chipmunk lure off a 6 color core and an all white lyman lure.

Confidence based on success! I'll swear to the day I die that the good ole cheap Busch Light will catch way more fish than most other beers!

I've already got the fishing itch and hunting season isn't even totally over.......