North Shore 11/03 and 11/08

Hi All, just stumbled upon this site and here is a fishing report out of the Knife River.

11/03 - Launched out of Knife River and ended up going 4 for 5 with 3 lakers and 1 looper. Hot colors worked well. 2 fish came off of 5 colors of leadcore and the other 2 came off of boards flatlined 75 feet back. Speeds from 2.3 to 3.0 mph gps.

Here is a picture of one of the nice lakers 36 inches and around 15 lbs. The other picture is of the 23 inch looper that was doing aerial acrobats during the fight.

Fishing003.jpg

Fishing005.jpg

11/08 - Took a day off of work and headed out of the Knife River all by my lonesome. Went 3 for 3 with a looper, coho, and lake trout. 2 fish came off of leadcore (5 colors) and the 25 inch looper came off of an inline planer 120 feet back on a '57 chev (the new Brad's from MG). All hot colors again. Speeds from 2.3 to 2.8 mph gps.

-Kevin-

25Looper.jpg

Nice fish Kevin. Its good to see some is still out there banging them...The weather has been good so far. Just about every one up here has hung it up for the year We will have to stay in touch over the next summer so we can gang up on the fish.

Leroy

Thanks guys. That lake trout was tough to get in on 5 colors of lead. A lot of line to reel in!

Leroy, yes we should stay in touch so we can team up on the fish and since you and I are about the only two from the North Shore we wouldn't be sharing our secrets with the whole world either!

Question...what are any good books for me to read on trolling that would apply to Lake Superior fishing? Looking for some reading material to get me through the winter.

Thanks,

-Kevin-

Thanks guys. That lake trout was tough to get in on 5 colors of lead. A lot of line to reel in!

Heck....thats getting warmed up.

Some people run 1 1/2 cores(15 colors) and 2 cores(20 colors). The longest core you will find in my boat is a full core. If I need extra depth, I will attach a dive bomb. Depending on how much extra depth I am trying to get, determines which size Dive Bomb I use.

I hear of people using full core and after using 5 core I can't imagine reeling in a full core with a 15 lbs king or laker on the other end!

If I need to get my presentation down to 40 feet or more I'll just use riggers or divers. My setup now consists of 4 riggers, 2 slide divers, 2 five color lead cores, and board lines with snap weights (mast system and inline boards). I only have an 18 footer and fish 3 people normally. You can only use 2 rods per person in MN...it's a drag.

-Kevin-