Winterized!

And what a bummer that was too.

Yes I've been procrastinating, and with the past couple of night using a drop light for heat (just in case), I figured I better git r dun..

Tried something a little different this year.

Hooked a short piece of hose to my muffs, stuffed a metal funnel through the swim platform connected to the hose. My lovely assistant Julie poured the anti freeze in while I started 'er up and fogged her back out after 2 gallons of juice. Worked beautifully! I don't know why I haven't thought of it before.

Polish me realized after I got the batteries ready to go in the house, that I left the outdrive down..... DOH!

All I got left to do is get 'er to Ludington for some free indoor storage.... The best kind!

Bye til next year little boat!

Tim, It's always a bummer for me to put mine away the last time. I wanted to get out perch fishing today but couldn't get anyone to go. I don't winterize mine until Dec ????? My garage never freezes so I just take out the manifold plug and open the petcock on the engine block. I fog mine with WD40. I pull the outdrive and put it on a roller stand before backing it in the garage, (not much room in back). When I'm bored during the Winter I go out and do the things that are needed.:)

Mike, I use the WD40 because there are two cans on my boat at all times. So I guess the main reason, it's readily available. WD40 displaces moisture, lubricates and prevents rust. I spray enough through the carburetor to stall the engine and provide protection to the valves and head components. I pull the plugs and blast each cylinder.:) If you can convince me that this is harming, or not properly protecting my engine then, let it rip skip. :grin: I have used the OMC fogging spray a few years back. An experts opinion has changed my way of thinking more than once.:)

Well, I pulled my boat out this afternoon.

Got the lower unit stuck in the bottom when I pulled up to the dock at the ramp.(the water sure is low now)

Anyhow, got it on the trailer in the yard, gonna pull the outdrive and then the motor is coming out to be rebuilt over the winter.

I figured that I better get it on the trailer while I can, seems my neck is getting all swollen, and all these new smells are getting pretty attractive LOL.

And I seem to be getting the urge to spend all my time in the woods for some reason.

Frank

Without getting into a huge technical debate.

Wd-40 is a penetrating lubricant and a cleaner. You already knew this.

It does everything you have stated and 1 thing you have not.

The problem is the cleaning action. Briefly: a cylinder wall is not smooth, to the human eye it is, but it is not. Oil fills the microscopic crevices. When you coat the cylinder with wd-40, you remove the oil from the crevices. After sitting for awhile you do not have the proper lubrication at start up.

That is why I prefer the proper fogging chemicals.

Mike

I gotta jump in... Winterizing got to be fun all the sudden!

WD-40 is actually a solvent-So Mike is right about the cleaning part. (Its great for guns)

This again is like everything else. You ask 4 people you'll get 4 opinions.

In Franks defense, if its worked well for him in the past, to steal the line "Let 'er rip Skip".

For starters, a combustion chamber is to some point air tight. WD-40 sitting in an airtight (almost, and for sure if at the right "time") spot, I think, because it would be sitting there with no air getting to it, it would be just like it was if in the can. Yes cleaning, but never really completely drying out thus lubricating.

Come on lets get another opinion.

"Whats that smell".... I gotta go to the woods!

(Well not right now-time stamp, but you know what I mean?)

PS. I put my boat away because... I don't know when I'm going to get the chance to put my boat away. NRFTW!

Just a little extra...

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement, 40th attempt"

Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, somewhat similar to, but not the same as, kerosene)

25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)

15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

10-%: Inert ingredients

Mike is right about the solvent qualities of WD40. I have used it as a starting fluid before, so I doubt that the carburetor application would harm the engine. Now the spark plug hole cylinder application may be a different horse. Maybe a shot of motor oil into the cylinders would be better.:) Maybe I should just pick up some fogging oil.:) My old 4 cyl Chevy seems to be bulletproof. I do want to give it all the TLC she deserves.:)

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement, 40th attempt"

Didn't it actually take them 40 attempts at the formula or something like that.... I remember hearing that many years ago.....

Or was that just some sick internet rumor....lol.....

If you want to have some real fun, and see how many forums this has been talked about before.... Do a Google search for wd40 as a fogger.