Charter Insurance

I have insurance thru The Insurance Shop in East Jordan. They got me more coverage and at a cheaper cost than less coverage at another carrier I had. With the litigious nature of people these days I would get all the coverage you can. I think the max is $1 million. Forming a Limited Liability Company (LLC) to minimize your personal liability seems like a good idea to me - costs about $350-$400 to set up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Without mentioning names I will say that I recently found out first hand to ask around and be wary of any "too good to be true" firms. The insurance company and policy I bought was fine and were pleasurable to do business with, but only after circumventing the agent. Be sure to check out the service history of the individual agent and how they respond to and handle claims.

Thanks Mike. I'm with Charter Lakes right now but my premium seems rather high and I just want to get some quotes from other reliable, good-to-deal with companies.

I was with Charter Lakes, then I moved for the same reason. I've got mine at the insurance shop too. Saved about 200 bucks a year and got more coverage.

• 2 months later...

Anybody have any links or numbers for The Insurance Shop. And the United web sites quote links seem to all be down right now. Hope they didn't leave town on you guys. ;) I expect my policy and bill to be in the mail any day now from Charter Lakes. I pay $980.00 per year for two boats. $300,000 personal liability on both. 4 months active and 8 months layover on my Grady and 12 months active coverage on my 18 Smokercraft Jet Sled. How does that stack up to the others. Hard to see anybody beating that price by $300.00. But I'm always up for a deal. :)

Oppppsssss. Stop the presses. I remember I called Charter Lakes in February, removed the 1,000,000 liability that I was required to have on the Dow Corning River Surveyors I was taking up and down the Tittabawassee the last 3 springs. Their company insisted on and made up that extra insurance amount in my fees. So that job is over now and I'm back to what the CG wants and thats $300,000. So the $798.00 was/is the same amount I was paying previously. Oh well, it felt good for a minute.:(

The Insurance Shop sells charter policies through Freemont Ins. Co.

It's a good policy at a fair price. Freemont seems to really care about taking care of their policy holders.

Just based on my own previous experience when trying to file a claim, I would opt for an agent closer to home that sells Freemont policies. Any that do can offer the same policy you would recieve anywhere else. Giving business to an agent in your own area doesn't hurt your business if you are promoting yourself to the locals. Also dealing with an agent you know, they may be more likely to do all it takes when bad things happen to help promote their business in the community as well.

• 1 year later...

I have Freemont Insurance, and I purchased the rider for my engines, and transmissions, and last year I smoked my starboard engine, and the adjuster was a complete TOOL!!!!. He was at the Marina for 5 min's, and denied my claim? said there was water in the oil? the battle still continues till know. They are definetly cheaper? all I can say is if you have a claim tell them that you hit somthing.

In 2008 I got caught up in one of those indian nets :mad: wrap the rope around both shafts bent both shafts and supports. I called freemont they sent a adjuster out in 3 days OK'd the work with no Q's asked. Thats is the only time I needed to make a claim.