Changing Engine Oil?

Hi All,

I searched for information on engine oil changing pumps but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any experience with the pumps on the market that drain oil by pumping through the dipstick? I have two Honda outboards on my sled and was thinking about using a pump through the winter months because it is difficult to pull my boat once they drop our lake level. I was looking at the Pela 650 model. Thanks for any input pro or con.

Randy

Hi All,

I searched for information on engine oil changing pumps but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any experience with the pumps on the market that drain oil by pumping through the dipstick? I have two Honda outboards on my sled and was thinking about using a pump through the winter months because it is difficult to pull my boat once they drop our lake level. I was looking at the Pela 650 model. Thanks for any input pro or con.

Randy

I have a 12 volt that pumps through the dipstick and works great. I think I got it from Overtons. Not at home at the moment don't know the exact model (obviously they work better with the engine hot) I've also used it to refill the outdrive. (and yes people I do it from the bottom up) It struggles a little bit with gear lube, so's I just nuke it a little and works great!

I've used it for my Generator and Riding Lawn mowers also!!!!

Not a pump, but what I use is a hose that stays connected to the oil pan. When it's time to drain the oil the hose fits through the bilge drain hole, and I drain the oil into a container outside the boat. The hose and fittings cost $20. :) IF anyone needs a link for this setup let me know.

I have tried to pull the oil from a 115 hp Honda but only got about a quart through the dip stick hole. Ended up draining the rest . We use a Tempo Vacum pump on all the IOs & inboards cost is about $75.00 I have tried lots of others and for the money the Tempo has been the best . We have used this pump on over 400 oil changes. My 2 cents.....

Leroy