Oil Change Question

another thing for those with I/O's. There are alot of different ways to change the oil. The best I've seen is a valve where the drain plug goes and hook up one of those drill motor operated pumps to it. All the same, if you line a beer or soda box (the cardboard box type not the cartons) with a trashbag (just slip the box inside the bag) and fill it about half full with kitty litter or shop floor sweep it works great to catch your old oil. Just tie it up and slide it out when the oil is drained and dispose of it in a responsible manner... I use the farmers field out back, J/K... works like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

I change mine monthly through the season. Watch out on the farmers field, oil kills everything. When I was a teenager doing all the oil changes for 3 cars in our family, I used to dump it on a vacant field across the road, mostly in the same spot. A few years back, they developed it and built houses. There is a house with a fairly nice lawn over my oil dump with a big 3 ft dead spot they can't get any grass to grow. I chuckled when my mom was telling me they didn't understand why the grass wouldn't grow there. Most quicky oil change places will take used oil to recycle. I save my gallon jugs from windshield wash and put my oil there and take it to a local quick oil change. That is the best way to dispose of it for the environment.

I also change mine at least once a year, and if the oil color starts to darken. I have a special fitting and a hose that is left in place on the drain hole. When it's time to change oil the hose fits through the transom drain. Just remove the cap from the hose and drain the oil into a 2 gal jug. After the oil is drained I add a Qt. of cheaper oil and let it drain also. There is never a mess, and all the oil is drained outside of the boat. I take my used oil with me when I get my car/truck serviced. The oil drain hose and fitting cost $20.

I have a special fitting and a hose that is left in place on the drain hole. When it's time to change oil the hose fits through the transom drain.

Thanks for the tip Frank!