Rod holders

CAC

Hi guys,

I am preparing to purchase some rod holders. I need a pair for each side of the boat. I will be running divers and boards off of them. Big jon has heavy duty and apparently a lighter duty version of the pair of holders. I also like bert's. What are your thoughts? As much money as there is to spend in this sport, I want to make good decisions as I outfit this boat.

Tight lines to all

The multi set rod holders from BigJon would be my choice. You can raise and lower them one handed, and the price is right. I bought 4 of them last Winter. I was able to get some factory seconds at a good price. Talk with John Williams to see if he has any available. They are more than adequate for Dipsy use.

http://www.bigjon.com/store/list.asp?SubTypeID=3&ProductID=55

CaC,

I have Bert rod holders on my boat right now and they worked ok for me using dipsys and core rods. But now I wish I went with Big jon rod holders just because they are much stronger than my Berts are. Get the Big Jons and they will work much better for you.

Rich

I recently picked up 2 triple rod holders made by fishlander. My buddy didn't even want to let me borrow them the first time, he said I would never want to fish without them. The adjustability is great, I had not one problem running 2 dipsy's and one planer off of one side. Super easy to mount and super easy to manipulate. I've looked at all of these other big jon, berts, etc...and my buddy was right, I'll never fish w/out!!!

I'll second the Great Lakes holders. Big jons are very good multi purpose holders but Great Lakes are better for divers. They are very heavy duty. One nice advantage is that you can grab the dipsey rod in the holder when extended perpindicular to the water and pull the rod and holder up and towards the boat to get the rod out in one motion. Way better than leaning way out from the boat to pull the rod out when you have a large king ripping on it.

I have Berts holders on my boat and they are one-handed and work great. The ratchetting action is awesome for getting rods out of the holder when a fish hits. To get the rod out of the holder, all you have to to is lift the rod up and the holder automatically ratchets to the vertical position. You don't need to lift the rod out over the water while the holder is still in the horizontal position to get the rod out of the holder.

My BIL has bert's on his boat, and they work ok. The problem is that the ratcheting hardware is broke, so if you go for a rod the whole rod holder slips. To fix this problem we have been using clothes pins as a shim to sure up the ratcheting part of the holder. Which is fine, but $ for $ when you spend upwards of $70 per rod holder, not to mention the track, and then it break on you, I couldn't deal with that. Check out those fishlanders, go to their website, They kick a$$.

I've got big jon's on mine, 1 heavy duty single and a set of doubles on each gunwale. they are rock solid.

A friend had vector doubles on his last boat and while they were similar to the big jon doubles, I didn't like them nearly as much as my big jons.