Colorado elk hunt

minnow

As some of you know I was out in colorado the first 2 weeks of september and although I did not bring home an elk it was a awsome experience. The first week we were there it was archery season and that is the tag I had. It was $506.00 for an either sex tag so I felt lucky and bought that one. We were hunting the williams fork / henderson mine area near Kremmling and when we started the were not many hunters. The first day we saw one bull which bugled and came to within 65 yards and decided something was not right and turned away. The second day we saw a couple more bulls at a great distance and could not get anything going until that evening as we headed down the mountain we got to around 10700 feet and took a break. After a few minutes I started to mess with my Hoochie mama call and all the sudden a bugle came from down the hill that made my hair stand up it was so close. The guy I was with run down the hill 50 or so yards and started calling and within what seemed like a minute I saw this huge bull come up from the valley below us pulling his rack through the thick pine brush and moving at what seemed like about 30 mph I drew back and when he walked into the clearing at about 20 yards I was thinking lead him, lead him i let it go and whap I hit him like what souned like a ton of bricks and as he took a couple steps I thought D@MN! my arrow should not have popped right back out. But it did and landed in a tree just left of were I shot him. He ran down towords the guy that was calling for me and as he did that I hit my call and he stopped within 10 yards of him as he was curled up next to a log so he did not get trampled he could see were my arrow hit right dead in the front shoulder blade with barely any bood and then it turned and ran down the mountain not to be seen again. He said it was the biggest bull he had seen in his ten trips out there and he counted it as a 6x6. All I saw was some big horns and new it was a shooter. My carbon arrow ended up only going in about 2.5 inches and it split in two like a piece of wood. We ended up seeing 5 bulls and 2 cows between 3 of us with the most of the 2 days before muzzleloader opened and the mountain getting alot of pressure and the bulls getting lockjaw and not bugleing. I did manage 2 hours of fishing in a small stream with a spinner on a ultralight rod and caught 9 brook trout for dinner. If you get a chance to go out there DO IT you will not regret it. I was fortunate enough to go out there with my dad and his friend and it was the trip of a life time. My dad is not sure he will be able to go out and handle the altitude any more so I am glad I went when I did. We camped at 9000 feet and walked to as high as 12047 feet. Most days we only had to go 2000 vertical feet in a couple miles to get to the elk. All in all it was a blast.:)