Smoking Turkeys ?

special x

I have smoked turkey before and never used any kind of brine. Just threw it on and several beers later it was ready for consumption. Never tried this one either, but when you deep fry a turkey you can inject it with whatever flavor it is you want, I wonder if you did that to a smoked turkey if the flavor would turnout good too. I do know that the turkey I ate off my smoker was devoured by everyone there. Not too mention that everyone at the party told me that the turkey was awesome.

I did do a Google search and ya lots of recipes out here,but i wanted to here from the PROs The people that have done it with afew beers on a weekend.

I like the apple juice idea Things like that were missing when I did the Google thing. I will try one this weekend with out the brine for our season end fish fry. Gotta have a little surf & turf. Thanks guys you have been really helpful.

I just may buy a 10-12 # turkey and slow smoke it on my gas grill. I have a 3 burner grill, so I'll light one of the end burners on low, and put the bird on the other side. I have smoked other stuff (Fish, Sausage, and ribs). I use a old tin can cut down to form a handle to hold the wood chips. Even in the Summer I can hold the temp as low as 160-175 degrees. I should be able to get even lower this time of yr. Probably should take it up over 200 for awhile anyways. I think you need 180 degrees on a meat thermometer to be safe with poultry.

Have you noticed how smoked fish taste better after a day or two in the refrigerator? I imagine smoked turkey would be fantastic served cold the next day. Probably will be lucky if any last till the next day.:lol:

I have allways wanted to try a whole turkey but have just not done it yet. I have smoked turkey legs and they have allways turned out very good. My plans is when I smoke a whole turkey is to. Soke the whole turkey in apple juice for two days in the fridge. Then put it into the smoker with apple chips and put the apple juice brine in the drip pan instead of water. If those turkey legs are good that way. Then I bet a whole turkey will tast just as good.

Rich

• 3 months later...

MMMM....smoked turkey, yummy....13_4_9.gif

For me the brine is jist a way to add salt, what i do is use kosher salt in a bucket of water, use a raw egg (still in the shell, kinda messy udder wise) as a gage of how salty you want the water. I keep adding salt and stirring the water until the egg floats in a nuetral bouancy, bout half way, some like it just floating off the bottom other a hard float, soak the bird over night and smoke the next day