Who Keeps A Log

GLF

Do You Keep A Log Book?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Keep A Log Book?

• Yes, I keep a log book.
    • No, I do not keep a log book.

I custom made my own log book with microsoft excel. It is very basic and only has 'essential' information. I print out the pages and just put them in a binder. This will be my third season using the log.

Very nice. Can you post a picture of a blank log?

For big lake trolling I've kept a log on a plain pad of notebook paper for about 5 years. The info is pretty basic.

However, I've kept a detailed log of my river fishing for over 15 years. I made up a standardized form which I photocopy. Date, time, location, weather, air temp, water temp, level, and clarity; fish caught, other action, expectations and reasoning, how well expectations met, (un)successful lures/patterns, and other observations(this may be a couple lines or take up the bottom half of the page and the entire back side of the page). I keep the pages in 3-ring binders. I think I've got about 6 full 3" binders.

For big lake trolling I've kept a log on a plain pad of notebook paper for about 5 years. The info is pretty basic.

However, I've kept a detailed log of my river fishing for over 15 years. I made up a standardized form which I photocopy. Date, time, location, weather, air temp, water temp, level, and clarity; fish caught, other action, expectations and reasoning, how well expectations met, (un)successful lures/patterns, and other observations(this may be a couple lines or take up the bottom half of the page and the entire back side of the page). I keep the pages in 3-ring binders. I think I've got about 6 full 3" binders.

So Matt, are there columns of data that represent "cocktails consumed" and "beers guzzled"? :D

So Matt, are there columns of data that represent "cocktails consumed" and "beers guzzled"? :D

Don't be ridiculous, Ken, I don't have columns for that:rolleyes: .

That data is in rows, not columns:D

Don't have it as a picture, but can send it to someone gladly...

It's been adpated to more suit our boat and the GL's....

I don't leave port w/o it....

I've been keeping mine since I purchased her new in 2000....

It has taken a while to compile the large amount of data, but that's what I do between the end of deer season and ice out....

But now, after several years a definite pattern has started to develop..

That is the key! ...... IMHO....

• 1 month later...

I keep a small notebook on board and mark all fish or definite "bites"... I put whether the fish was landed or not, time, color/style of lure or bait, how deep on rigger, how far line was behind rigger, if flashers were used, if on planer board, how much leadcore was out, what trolling speed... each time.

I also list weather conditions and areas fished overall for the day.

I figure I should keep track of info whether the fish was landed or just hit the lure, as it will still help show what the fish are biting and where they are in the long run.

I just started my "anal" log this year, so it will take a couple years to be of much use...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I do not keep a log because there are to many variables fishing lake MI. Wind direction, water temp., bate fish location, time of day, and bate fish size. Thanks bags

• 3 weeks later...