I Misunderstood?

Talking to a buddy today, and re reading DNR rules and regs, I think I've been misunderstanding something.

I go out fishing on Lake Michigan.

I can use 3 rods per person.

I can catch 5 fish.

Trout and Salmon in combination of 5.

Only 3 of 1 kind. Trout or Salmon. (Is the way I thought it was)

Can I have 2 Kings (Chinook) , 2 Coho, and a Steelhead or Laker for my 5?

So 4 salmon and 1 trout but 2 different species of salmon.

I know this is rehashing an old thread, but I can't find the darn thing.

Thanks!

In the top little paragraph on the DNR guide on the page that has all the great lakes listed in a table is a listing of all individual species of fish covered under the guide. The guide specifies "no more than 5 in any combination, but only 3 of one species."

In the guide, a Coho salmon is listed as a different species from a Chinook salmon. So, as I read it, 2 coho + 2 kings + 1 steely legally fulfills 1 fishing license limit for having 5 fish in combination.

I think if you look at the rules in any combination but no matter what not more than one Lake trout this is in the note colum to the right of the page. and I also belive that a salmon is a salmon no matter what species, as that is what was explained this last spring at the Big Jon pro am out of southhaven.. I read it like jason that chinooks and coho are two diffenet species however no matter what way you try and fill a limit your only allowed 5 so to me salmon is a salmon no matter what type and no more then 3.:confused:

Tim,

You can do this.

No more than 3 steelheads, kings, or cohos out of your 5 combo. MAX

But you can only catch 2 lakers out of your 5 combo.MAX

Sorry Rich to correct you.......Limit now on Lakers is 3. it used to be 2 but they now changed that in favor of regulating the size limits. For our southern ports it is 20". It changes in the northern ports like Frankfort and Leeland. I think it goes to 23" and only one over 34" One needs to look at the section that they are fishing.

Here is the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/great-lakes-trout-salmon_151607_7.pdf

As far as coho goes, it is a different species....same genere but different species. That said, most of the Pro/Ams and local torunaments specify in their rules that one can only weigh in so many salmon.....usually 9 for Pros and 8 for Ams. Coho and kings, atlantics & pinks all go into this count. There are a few events that don't specify this. I think that is where Silverone is getting confused. BigJon Pro/Am is just that way.

Now, the worst part is that there are many that connot tell the difference between a King and Ho.....right Darrin? I could go thru all the anal rays counts, spots on the body and lacking on the tail and color of the gums....but very simple.....Just grab it by the tail...if it slips thru, it is NOT a king. The king is the only fish (Salmon) that you can hold it up by the tail. But....if in doubt, call it a king and add it to the count. Better to err on the safe side, so you can then fish tomorrow.

Mark

INCORRECT

That May be so but if im incorrect then why is the limit 5 fish in a combo with no more then 3 Salmon?And Im almost certain it reads no more then 3 chinook or 3 coho. This is the statement in the rules that raises the question of interpretation. I am going to make a call today to the plainwell Dnr office and see if i can get the correct interpretation.

Now, the worst part is that there are many that connot tell the difference between a King and Ho.....right Darrin? I could go thru all the anal rays counts, spots on the body and lacking on the tail and color of the gums....but very simple.....Just grab it by the tail...if it slips thru, it is NOT a king. The king is the only fish (Salmon) that you can hold it up by the tail. But....if in doubt, call it a king and add it to the count. Better to err on the safe side, so you can then fish tomorrow.

Mark

*GLF remembers a post where GLF misidentified some fish. :D :D :D

What makes it really hard to identify is when you have kings that have partial spots on the tails, or a coho that has a couple of spots on the tail. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I never have a problem identifying largemouth and smallmouth bass! :lol:

Sorry Rich to correct you.......Limit now on Lakers is 3. it used to be 2 but they now changed that in favor of regulating the size limits. For our southern ports it is 20". It changes in the northern ports like Frankfort and Leeland. I think it goes to 23" and only one over 34" One needs to look at the section that they are fishing.

Here is the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/great-lakes-trout-salmon_151607_7.pdf

As far as coho goes, it is a different species....same genere but different species. That said, most of the Pro/Ams and local torunaments specify in their rules that one can only weigh in so many salmon.....usually 9 for Pros and 8 for Ams. Coho and kings, atlantics & pinks all go into this count. There are a few events that don't specify this. I think that is where Silverone is getting confused. BigJon Pro/Am is just that way.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I didn't really know that about lakers.

Rich

When did the limit of lakers change as I thought it was still one and if that is the case man did I realease alot of lakers.:eek: Boy now after this post im really confused. I tried looking at the salmon guide but im not a lawyer so I dont speek or read polotician real well

That May be so but if im incorrect then why is the limit 5 fish in a combo with no more then 3 Salmon?And Im almost certain it reads no more then 3 chinook or 3 coho. This is the statement in the rules that raises the question of interpretation. I am going to make a call today to the plainwell Dnr office and see if i can get the correct interpretation.

I was referring to the "salmon is a salmon" part of the comment...you seem to understand the rule by mentioning the number 3, but it's the salmon is a salmon logic that trips people up. Much easier to call them by species.

Tight lines and screw you Adjusted:angry2::lol:...it was dark

I got ya. I was quoting the tournement comittee from the pro am. I think I stated that they are two different spicies in that same post. But anyway thanks for the clearification. Im still wondering about the lake trout limit? as I still thought to this day it was one. At one time it was one and I belive it was closed for a season or two back in the late 80s early 90s. So not knowing for sure we never took any chances of having more then one per person. Which is ok I guess as we always catch our fair share of fish and try and not keep more then we can eat untill the next season.:confused:

If i have question as to what type between coho/chinook i quickly count the anal rays. 13-15 for coho and 15-17 for chinooks. It helps to keep a Michigan Fishing Guide in your boat stored somewhere, very easy to do. Lake trout have all kinds of different regulations depending on where your fishing at. Nother good reason to have the book onboard. Heres a quote from book on lake trout. "The daily possession limit for lake trout and splake is 5 in any combination, but no more than 3 of any one species." LOL hope this helps.

Guys,,,,

I am only referring to Michigan waters.....A few on this thread are from other states. Those States may have different regs.....We all need to read our own regs and pay attention to it.

Darrin, you could not tell the difference between a Ho and Sturgeon.....But I enjoy you as a full time crew member on my boat.....your great on the stick.....You just suck as to what your catching...

Mark

I to keep regs on my boat however It does not necessarly mean that I interpret them the same as the law makers that wrote them. The legislatures and Dnr officials that write these game laws will even interpret them different as I made a few calls lastnight to two different Dnr posts and got two different interpretations from post staff. A field officer is your best bet for interpretation. Only problem in Allegan county is finding one as we only have 2 that cover the county one on the west side and one on the east side. I left a message with Officer Pat McMannin and one with Officer Sam Wiszinski as I have a card for bolth and neither was able to get back with me lastnight. I will post there interpretation as soon as I get it.

• 4 weeks later...