J Plug Basics

Just run a plain j-plug, no flasher is needed. Use a swivel small enough to go through the hole in the j-plug. This will allow the plug to slide up the line away from a fish when hooked up and the fish can't use the plug as leverage to get off. They are great on cores but full cores can be tough to run in traffic this time of year. They work great on half cores and you can run them around other boats if not in crowded condition like in front of pier heads. I avoid fishing there anyways. I like to run a longer leads with j-plugs off riggers in shallow water less than 50 ft and high slide divers and long leads are good too. Hope this helps.

or I use a Lyman plug and not have to deal with that stuff at all.

I'm a big believer in the Lyman plugs. Nearlly all of them glow, they are made out of Cedar, so the action the wood has is extremely eractic, and they catch fish. I was hesitant to try them at first due to the price, but I continue to be extremely pleased with the Lyman plugs. They are pricey, but they will survive multiple fish without experiencing significant finish problems.

my 2cents,

I tie a leader to the bead chain about 6" long so that I can use my regular swivel but the plug can still work its way up.

Brilliant! TY Bob! I was cutting off my swivels then retying them on my leadcore leader everytime id do the switch from spoon to plug. At the point now I should prolly reapply new leadcore leaders again. Done this about 4 times allready this year. Thanks again.

This maybe the same as what Bob does but to expand. I tie about a one foot leader from the bead chain to a barrel swivel that's small enough to go through the J-Plug hole. I make up a bunch of these ahead of time and have them handy. If a fish really swallows the hooks or you have a bent hook or frayed leader, just put a new setup on. You can even just put the fish in the cooler with the old hook still in it and worry about it later. This comes in handy during prime time low light conditions especially during harbor patrol.

Joe

• 7 months later...
hello everybody,

what is you favorite j-plug size ? same as spoon, bigger, smaller ? I bought several #4 & #5 j-plugs and worry that they are huge.

#4 is the most common for us , but I've landed many on the #5s. I used to run a #3 behind my Dipsey rig with good results (before flys/flasher where so common). They all work great in the late summer.