how do you can salmon

NO MO BEGGEN

For pints:

Cut skined salmon into small chunks(1inch sq.)

Fill pint jar up and leave about 1 inch of space.

Add 1 tbl spoon of canning salt

1 tbl spoon vinager

1 tbl spoon catsup(optional) for color

Put on lid and ring making sure seal and lid are clean

Tighten ring hand tight

Cook at 10 lbs for 1 hour.

After pressure has leaked off remove jars from canner and place on towel, cover with extra towel and let set untill cool. Check to make sure jars are sealed and store with the rest of your canned goods.

For quarts follow above directions but cook for 1 1/2 hours at 10 lbs.

We do our canned salmon almost the same way. But believe it or not, there is actually enough vinegar in that 1 tablespoon of ketchup to flavor and and dissolve the bones in all the chunks in the jar. That's all we ever used was the ketchup alone and a slice of onion and it turns out great. Then get a box of Chicken in a biscuit crackers and go to town. :P

This post could not have come at a better time as I called my dad (super Tramp) the other day and was asking him how we use to can fish and this is the same as his recipe.

The only other thing im going to do different is smoke the salmon and then can it. That might be the only thing better with those crakers you mentioned. We do bolth to make salmon patties and sandwich spread and the smoked is awsome right out of the jar. Makes a great snack out there on the river chasing winter stealhead out of the Jon boat.

Joe.

If I'm not mistaken, you can cold pack/can salmon after you smoke it. Or cook it just enough to seal the jars. It's already been cooked after smoking and I'm not sure if pressure cooking it again would make it mushy. I've had it a few times, but never did it myself. But it seems thats what they did.

Yes your right My grandmother who is 86 and still sharp of mind told me the same thing. however I have never done cold pack. I have done hot pack canning which is how my wife and I do tomatoes. not sure how to go about the cold pack process.

• 7 years later...

We do the same as above but in some jars we replace the Ketchup with BBQ sauce and we put onion and a small piece of garlic clove in the quart jar. For a little kick you can also put a splash of hot sauce on the ketchup or BBQ. We don't add vinigar either the Ketchup/BBQ/hot sauce seem to have enough vinigar as stated above. All awesome, we do a few of each just to change things up so we dont get sick of the same ole! Try it!!!