Planer Boards or Inlines Planers

GLF

I prefer to use in-lines in waves up to 3-4 ft. They bounce but they still function. If it's too rough for them, I usually am heading back to the dock with some green customers:p ! I prefer them to the larger boards only because it is easier to manage a variety on my spreads. They do take a little fight out of the fish(and the fisherman), but are the best for a large spread.

If I am trolling for Northern or Walleye on inland lakes, I prefer the larger boards because I will usually be running similar type rigs on most of my lines usually only on one side of my boat.

For me this is not an either or...BOTH.

I prefer the big boards in the spring for Browns and in lines later for pulling high lines and cores.

I think I have more turning control with the big boards. I like to really pound the beach and I can work them in and around the cuts in the shore with a little practice. I think you have a little more stelth with them as well since the line does not actually run right behind the board.

The InLines cant be beat for pulling anything out deep and in bigger waves where they can actually be jumping waves and still pulling beutifully.

Dave

We use in-line planer boards exclusively. We use Big Jon (Wille) Side-Liner Planer Boards whenever fishing surface baits such as body baits and spoons. It is easy to run up to 12 boards at a time (6 on a side) a lot easier with in-line boards than regular Big Planer Boards and mast. We also use the Church Tackle Walleye Board exclusively for pulling Lead Core and Copper. Again, it is really easy to fish 5-6 Walleye Boards on a side with Lead Core and Copper than with the Big Planer Boards and mast. Don't forget, this point-of-view is brought to you from a Charter Boat Captain who fishes a lot of rods.

I am actually switching back to big boards this year. In our case it is easier to run core off the big boards and I have lost too many small boards over the last few years. When pulling core eventually someone will get you and with the small boards the board is gone and if there is any kind of traffic you can't turn around to retrieve it. I have also seen more productivity out of the big boards when it is rough.

• 2 weeks later...

When fishing 5 or 6 boards off the side, are you stagering the lengths of line out, or do you put the one with the least amount of line on the outside and work towards the boat with rods with more line out?

• 3 weeks later...