NK 28 and trolling speed??

ok guys have a quick question? I talk to people that run Nk 28s and they say that you have to run them fast 2.9 to 3.6. This is GPS speed MPH I think, If I pull these at that speed I seem to have dead rods, but if I go around 2.3 to 2.4 mph get more hits. Is there something that I maybe doing wrong?

In my opinion, it's all about troll direction and currents as far as speed is concerned. One direction, the speed may be way too fast. In another direction, it could be the opposite.

Capt. Levi, another member of this site, made some great suggestions regarding troll direciton and speed. I don't have the time right this second to find the link, but the thread was labelled something along the lines of 'lure speed and temp indicator.' The advice has helped me this year quite a bit.

Hope this helps!

I talk to people that run Nk 28s and they say that you have to run them fast 2.9 to 3.6.

I think the best advise is don't worry about what "people" say. Fish your fish and your program, whatever speed that is and you'll catch more fish. If you try to fish someone else's spread, you're more likely to come back skunked. It is great to get tips from other fishermen, but each boat runs different, and each fishermen has a different program. If slower speed work for you, then fish it that way. That is the advice that was given to me before I became a Captain by another Captain, and it has worked for me.

• 1 month later...

I like to run my spoons fast. 2.7 down speed is where i start and i will increase this up to 3.5 if things are slow. I learned this dragging sreamers for landlocks when u think u are going to fast speed up. i have found that sometimes 2.7 down speed is 3.5 to 4.0 gps or it could be 2.0 gps.

chris