Online OMC Manual

I am helping Dirty Dog with his boat. I am looking for an online OMC manual that shows and tells the proper way to take apart a 1977 OMC Stringer Electric Shift outdrive. This is for a 140hp.

We have checked the voltage on the wires that go to the outdrive on Dirty Dog's boat. There is voltage there which means it is not the switch. :(

We need a manual that shows the break down and tells how to disassembly the lower unit. We are hoping it is a broken wire in the outdrive, but have been told this is unlikely. Replacement parts are obsolete.

Mike

Can you hear the solinoids click when you shift it from nuteral to forward or reverse? If there is juice getting there my bet would be the shift slinoids. Here is a link to buy a manual

http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/omc_sterndrive/order_pre-1980.html

E-Bay has a lot of parts for the older out drives. I found all the parts I needed for my 1979 Stinger on there and at a good price.

Can you hear the coils when they energize? A replacement springs if over $400 :eek: :eek: :eek:

There should be 2 solinoids, 1 for forward and 1 for reverse located somewhere at the back of the motor, either mounted to the motor, or tramsome and yes you should hear them click when you push the button for either forward or reverse. Not sure what spring you are refering to but if it's in the lower unit then expect it to be expensive.

There are no solenoids in the transom. There are two wires that run through the transom, and outdrive to two coils in the lower unit. There is a spring on each coil. These coils are on the front and back side of the drive shaft for the prop.

GLF is right. Shifter suppys 12 volts to coils when in gear green wire forwards

blue wire reverse. OHM reading with wire disconnected at transom is4.5 to6.5 OHM on each coil. If reading is within spec the coils and harness are good.

Spring falures are common. Worn spring sleeves wiil cause upper rpm slipage. More info needed about what out drive does or doesnt do to help with diagnoises.

Hope this may help. Leroy.

OHM reading with wire disconnected at transom is4.5 to6.5 OHM on each coil. If reading is within spec the coils and harness are good.

Spring falures are common. Worn spring sleeves wiil cause upper rpm slipage. More info needed about what out drive does or doesnt do to help with diagnoises.

Hope this may help. Leroy.

Thanks Leroy! This is very usefull information. About the rpm slippage.....I want to say Dirty Dog, said the boat did this the week prior to loosing drive. I will have to speak with him to confirm.

yes the last 3 or 4 time ive been out the rpms have went way up when tring to take off and it acts like it is sliped out of gear but as soon as i pull back on the throttle and talk off again it is fine ,this time i was comeing across the lake at full speed and it acted like it sliped out or gear and it would not go forward at all. All it has now is neutral and reverse.

More than likely you are going to need a new spring & sleeve but test coils first. Spring & sleeve are both the same for forward & reverse. Just a note may want to service water pump & swivel housing to prevent future cooling system problems. Not necessary but may save something down the road.

Leroy

• 2 weeks later...