Targeting Lake Trout

Luhr Jensen Dodgers with Spin-N-Glos or Peanuts. Sometimes with a string of Cowbells ahead of it. Downriggers 5 feet within bottom and 2 pound Lead Drops bouncing bottom every so often. Usually from 80-160 feet of water.

Also, when surface temperature is right, way offshore with surface boards and spoons trolling super fast.

If only going for those big mud chickens I would use wire line(solid) on a 309 Penn and roller rod. 1# tunking weights with cowbells and a big sewn gray minnow following.

My grandfather and great grand father would fish this way for lakers back in the late 70's and early 80's. Were the salmon in a downswing then? They would bounce bottom with the weight and get into the "holes" as they would say. They caught many a laker this way. Just a young pup but was right there watching them.

If only going for those big mud chickens I would use wire line(solid) on a 309 Penn and roller rod. 1# tunking weights with cowbells and a big sewn gray minnow following.

My grandfather and great grand father would fish this way for lakers back in the late 70's and early 80's. Were the salmon in a downswing then? They would bounce bottom with the weight and get into the "holes" as they would say. They caught many a laker this way. Just a young pup but was right there watching them.

Skip the wireline and use PowerPro and a long stiff rod w/ a linecounter reel (dipsy set-up), but you've got the laker program in the bag...after that it's all about speed and action.

• 1 year later...
Luhr Jensen Dodgers with Spin-N-Glos or Peanuts. Sometimes with a string of Cowbells ahead of it. Downriggers 5 feet within bottom and 2 pound Lead Drops bouncing bottom every so often. Usually from 80-160 feet of water.

Are you slowing your boat down to bounce the 2lb balls off bottom? What speed do you normally troll for lakers?

Also, when surface temperature is right, way offshore with surface boards and spoons trolling super fast.

When is the surface temperature "right"? What would you say is "super fast"?

Laker Speed 2 MPH or less. Lakers like it slower than Kings, and if you are running a Dodger program they work best at about 2 MPH. I also like the Dodgers and cowbells. Sometimes I would bounce bottom with a beat up old cannon ball on an inside rigger, with nothing on it. The adjacent riggers would be about 3 to 5 ft above that bouncer. About anything can be run behind the dodgers or cowbells. I used to have an olive drab peanut I bought at Keerl's Korner in Harrisville for 50 cents. The lakers would just hammer that peanut. I never really liked to target the lakers, but I have, and my bros and and I won a tourney out of Harbor Beach doing just that. Those Pigs can sure mess up a boat. If my gimbal bearing starts squealing I just catch a couple of LT and it's good for the rest of the season.:lol:

The boat speed should always be around 1.0-1.5 Most guys have to use trolling bags to get that slow. Lots of guys think "bouncing bottom" means to drag a 2 pound weight along bottom, but rather it has to be a bounce like every 5-8 seconds.

The best offshore temperatures we have found are 43-47 degrees. If we can find 47 degree water, we will be there all day pecking away at the fish. Super fast is around 4.0-4.5

The best offshore temperatures we have found are 43-47 degrees. If we can find 47 degree water, we will be there all day pecking away at the fish. Super fast is around 4.0-4.5

Thats hauling the mail. Do you pick up any steelhead and kings there also?

When fishing offshore and the water is right, you will catch everything! Kings, Cohos, Steelhead, and Lake Trout. Trust me, Lake Trout can catch a lure at any speed, just like all the other species.

You are so right about that Jon. We seldom target LT, but have picked some up over 3 MPH. In some areas slowing down below 2.5 the LT catch to Kings goes to LT. The LT are a good resource especially for the Charters. Paying customers want action, and to some a big fish is a big fish. I'm just grateful to live close to some of the best fishing in the country.:)