Planner Boards

its a great tech. to run lead off boards. you do need to use a large inline board. you do need to let all of the lead out and put the boards onto the backer line. you can set up rods for 1/2 core ,full,and any variation in between,I run 3 colors and if the fish are deeper than 20 foot i add weight above my florocarbon leader.I also run full core and copper behind a board.This is a killer setup becouse it gets it away from the boat.

We had offshores then switched to church boards, just pull the pin and the board is off the line. We use the walleye boards for salmon and walleye.

I had Offshore boards and switched to Church boards as well!

(I still kind of like the way the Offshores run in the water vs the Church!)

Definately year round. Us guys with the 8' beams, it sure does spread some stuff out!!!!!

I just got 2 leadcore setups this year and bought the Church boards and they work great. They problem with the mast line and having so many rods out is that the mast line can become a problem with the rods when turning, atleast from my experience. Easier turns with inlines also.

Wolfe99 - go with the Big John Otter Boats. I have been pulling 500-600' copper sections off them while in 4-6' waves. They wont dive and if they happen to go through a wave they pop right up on the other side of it. The run very close to the back corner of your boat unless a fish pulls them back. Most of the oswego captains who pull copper on a daily basis run these boards. If it can handle 600' of copper it can handle 10 or 20 colors!

Also, if your running leadcore off the big boards you can use the offshore releases (pinch pads) and clip it anywhere on the leadcore, so you can adjust to where the fish are. The release wont hurt the leadcore! Friends of mine along with myself have been doing this for a few years now.

Definatley go with the big boards. The inlines are a pain, unless you have mulitiple rods on one side and have to rest a middle one. Other than that they dive when you fight fish and to explain how not to let it do that to a customer is way too hard.

Click on the specials link. I believe they have factory seconds that are cheaper and have only minor visual defects. No structural problems, meaning they run the same just not as purdy. But for that kind of money go to cabelas website and buy 2 complete sets (2 right and 2 left) in-lines.

Wolfe99,

Running lead core down the middle, you'll eventually have problems when you get a good fish on another line.

There are pros & cons between using the big boards vs. the in-lines.

In-lines are less expensive, easier to use, work better in rough water, and some say catch more fish. Also, if you catch a fish on the outside line, you can put it back in the same position without pulling the inside line. You can't do that with the big board. Most guys have found you're better off running your most shallow line the furthest outboard from the boat.

Also, the big boards take up space when you're not using them, and with in-lines, you can run a wider spread.

I'd recommend the Walleye Board, (it's what most charters use) and adjust the lead weight at the bottom all the way forward. It'll track better.

Joe, "Sloppy Joe

Wolfe99,

I submitted the previous post without reading the second page of this thread. I tried the Big Jon otter boards. They were O.K. but I didn't think they tracked any better than home made wood boards. Also, I found if you troll real slow like for Lake Trout or Walleye, they don't track as well. They don't collapse so if you have a trailerable boat, it's a real storage problem. They might work O.K. for a charter boat but I still think you'd be better off with in-lines.

If you still want big boards, the attached are plans for planer boards.

http://www.mssfa.com/stplaner_board_plans.htm

You should be able to improvise some hardware to make them collapsible.

Joe, "Sloppy Joe"

Wolfe99

I use both types of boards. I think the more people you talk to the more opinions you will get. I have found the Church Walleye boards to be better for Salmon. I like to be able to put them back on the outside if I need to. They are easier to troll in rough water. Storage is not a problem.

For Walleye I have a hard time telling if I have a fish on with the Church Walleye boards. So I like the big boards for Walleye, then I can tell if I have one hanging on by line drag, or I can set my clips on the light side.

I hope this helps.

Tight Lines. TT