setting up flies

I know there has been a lot of talk about leader lengths and such but in my quest to get more production from my flies I have a few basic questions. #1 Do most of you put a snap swivel on your flies. If so barrel or bearing? If not how do you attatch them to the flasher. #2 I understand the heavy test line giving the fly better action but what kind of knot do you find most effective for that? Palomar?? #3 How many of you have seen a difference replacing the 50# mono with similar lb flourocarbon? :confused:

#1 I tie my flys 20-24" directly to the swivel (Trilene Knot) that came with the flasher.

#2 I retie my fly with a #3 single hook snelled to a #1 VMC treble

#3 I use 50 pound leader material from Cabelas by Seaguar.

The length of fly leader determines the action the fly will get. Most flasher manufacturers give some guidelines. The longer the leader the less action on the fly. I generally tie mine two to three times the length of the flasher. Even with a mild action dodger you shouldn't be less than 1-1/2 to two times the length of the dodger. I have used some squid with longer leaders behind the flashers. If something isn't working, I change things. Sometimes the fish want it slow and easy, and other times they like it fast and wild.:)

So nailer I guess what I'm getting at is if you tie your fly directly to the swivel on the flasher what do you do if you want to change flies. It would seem that if you cut it loose to tie another one your leaders would keep getting shorter.

The way I used to tie my flies is to hold the line at the length you want you leader to be and then fold the line back over itself and use the loop (just big enough for the treble or single hook to fit through) it creates to tie a half hitch. Clip the remaining end off. Attach the fly to the flasher by running the loop through the swivel and then the fly and hook through the loop and pull tight. What I have done lately is to tie them direct because I have gotten to a point where I have a couple of each of my favorite spinnies and I use them more as a set rather than change out the fly.

I just double the line over and tie a double granny knot (simple crossover). With that loop formed, I pull it through the swivel and then pull the fly and hook through the loop, if that makes any sense. Amazingly, the knot doesn't break or pull apart....my friends and I have been doing this setup for about 20 years now and it makes changing flies really easy.

So nailer I guess what I'm getting at is if you tie your fly directly to the swivel on the flasher what do you do if you want to change flies. It would seem that if you cut it loose to tie another one your leaders would keep getting shorter.

I've got two that have been doing very well so I haven't been changing that much. Yes if I do retie, I snip it off at the knot and lose a small amount, and some times I just make a new Snell rig.