counters on downriggers

So far I have only been around walker and Big Jon downriggers. As stated in other posts I love my captain's paks. I do have one question though about the counters on downriggers. Is there a reason they don't have a trip button? I know that it shouldn't need to be reset often but sometimes the spring slips and I end up off a few feet especially with the old walkers We had. It just doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't have a reset and you have to spin that wheel to adjust it. Does anyone know of a downrigger that has a counter with a reset?

Cannon downriggers have counters that reset. They simply slide off the gear that runs the counter and you can manually spin the wheel until it reads zero again. It's very easy and convenient and only takes about 10 seconds to do. Both the cannon models I have(mag 10s and unitrolls) do this.

I'm not very familiar with the Big Jons/Walkers, but will the counters easily come out far enough to manually reset them?

It's not too hard to reset them. The wheel for the counter is in between the counter and the spoool. It's slightly incovenient to take off the spring or spin them with the spring on. Not too bad though. I just thought it made sense to add a reset

• 1 year later...

I have 2 walkers i was having same problem with and yes it is hard to remove tiney mounting screws in rolling waves to reset.I did find new springs for $3 each and that was 2 yrs ago and have not had an issue since. The new springs do fit tight and are a pain to get on without stretching them,but it can be done. Very cheap fix,if yours is direct gear drive new gears can also b purchased and ck these just press on be shure gears are centered and that will also stop any gear slipping . Good luck

The only problem with a reset button, is it would get reset accidentally. It happens on the reels some times.:)

YES!! a double edged sword!!! try to fix one problem only to create a new one!!! oh what to do?? ill just keep playing with the wheel and spring to reset it!!!