Slammin Salmon In Muskegon 7/29

I made it out again today. We left the dock at 6:15am, and headed for the lake. At 6:45, I shut down in 105FOW, started a North troll and started setting lines. We fished 105-115FOW all day. I was setting the 4th line when a rigger fired. Eric grabbed the rod, turned a few times on the handle and said there was nothing there. I explained to Eric what a slider was and the importance of cranking fast until you feel the fish. This was the first of MANY fish that we would loose today. I reset this line and was working on another when a full core went off. After a short battle, we lost this fish. I reset this rod set a couple more, when a wire diver with a Custom Fishing Products, 11" Hotchip with a Siggs Rigs, Green Hypnotist trophy fly went. We boxed this fish(8lb Laker).

I finally got all the rods set and manned the wheel. We were way North of where I wanted to be. I swung the boat to the South and head to the area where I had caught fish the day before. Once we hit this area, rods started popping! We boxed a couple of doubles and lost SEVERAL more fish.

After I had everything reset, I swung the boat back around to head through the area again. We picked up few more, and lost a few more. We made a few more passes through this area, and picked up fish each time we went through it. We pulled lines at 11:30 to head in.

All said and done, we ended up 15 for 28 or more. I lost track of how many fish we lost after the 10th one. :eek: 9 kings, 3 coho, 2 steelhead, and 1 lake trout. Our biggest one weighed 14.5lbs. We also put in two more rows of corn, another row of beans, and another squash plant. :D

Chinook1_736069.jpg

Chinook2.jpg

Chinook3.jpg

What worked......We did not have any one hot bait that out performed the rest. Riggers set at 35', 45, 60', and 80' fired muliple times today. Full cores went several times today, 1/2 cores went several times today, and we also caught them on 2 and 3 colors. Michigan Stinger Stingrays, Craigs x-mas reverse, Craigs x-mas, Glow Dolphin, NBK, Carmel Dolphin, Green Puke, Blue Freakin Veggies, and Tangerine.

We caught several fish on wire divers. The hot bait for the divers was a Custom Fishing Products 8" Prochip, white blank/double pearl fishscale, with a Siggs Rigs Orange Bubble Trophy fly, set on #3 with 175' of wire out.

King1.jpg

HOOKED ON FISHING

After my son caught his first fish on Lake Michigan yesterday, he is hooked! He asked several times to reel in fish today. On a couple of the smaller ones, I put the rod in the corner rod holder and let him reel it in. He reeled in two half cores all by himself, once I removed the boards!

Here he is in action cranking in the first of his two fish he caught today.

Hunter_957625.jpg

What you can not see in this picture, is dads grin from ear to ear. This was the high light of the trip!

we also went out of muskegon this morning, started setting lines in 60 fow first fish on minutes later. 6# king on spin dr green fly. headed nw and everything was going, riggers, core and slide divers. ended up with 7 kings and 1 steelie most coming in 90-115fow. hot lures were magic man,kervorkian and nbk spoons. things pretty well quit by 10:00. final tally 8 for 14. lake was flat, had a great time.

On the riggers, I was running the baits 50-60' behind the ball.

I had one rigger go off while I was drawing the rod down. I thought I popped the release by mistake, but then the drag started screaming. FISH ON!!!!!